• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WANTED - M816 Snatch Block AKA Tackle Block/Sheave Assembly

houdel

I need a M816 snatch block, in military terms sometimes known as a tackle block or sheave assembly. In any event, it is the tackle block hanging off the end of the M816 wrecker crane. I need the common single pulley type with the attachment point for the cable end to make up the standard 3 wire block connection.

If anyone is interested, I have one BMF double pulley block to trade. Don't know the rating but must be several gazillion tons!

Attachments

houdel

RE: WANTED - M816 Snatch Block AKA Tackle Block/Sheave Assem

Looks like both snatch blocks are spoken for, but I put my name on the wait list anyhow!

rizzo

Re: RE: WANTED - M816 Snatch Block AKA Tackle Block/Sheave A

houdel said:
Looks like both snatch blocks are spoken for, but I put my name on the wait list anyhow!

cranetruck said:
I would be interested in the 5-ton winch snatch block, if original equipment.
at first it looked to me that CT was asking about the snatch block for the front winch. not for the crane. But the only winch rated at 5 tons is the crane winch.

maybe it would be worth a PM

jason@snakeriver

Army Surplus Warehouse in Idaho had a good selection of big snatch block and block and tackles. Of course the darn things are heavy. I walked through their yard yesterday. Tom

houdel

rizzo said:
at first it looked to me that CT was asking about the snatch block for the front winch. not for the crane. But the only winch rated at 5 tons is the crane winch. maybe it would be worth a PM
Actually, with either the boom supports or boom jacks in use the crane winch is rated at 20,000 lbs with three part line.

rizzo

houdel said:
rizzo said:
at first it looked to me that CT was asking about the snatch block for the front winch. not for the crane. But the only winch rated at 5 tons is the crane winch. maybe it would be worth a PM
Actually, with either the boom supports or boom jacks in use the crane winch is rated at 20,000 lbs with three part line.

I think you are wrong. the lifting capacity of the crane is rated at 20k not the winch. I have never seen a rating on the winch. I assumed that since it has a 1/2 inch cable that it is rated the same as the front deuce winch. I havnt done the research, I'm going from memory of previous reads so I may be wrong.

houdel

rizzo said:
I think you are wrong. the lifting capacity of the crane is rated at 20k not the winch. I have never seen a rating on the winch. I assumed that since it has a 1/2 inch cable that it is rated the same as the front deuce winch. I havnt done the research, I'm going from memory of previous reads so I may be wrong.
I disagree. The -10 TM is not real clear on this point. Page 1-15 of the 14 June 1985 edition of the TM states "The vehicle crane is used for lifting operations of up to 20,000 pounds", which would lead one to believe the CRANE itself can lift 20,000 pounds, but that is not exactly what the TM states. "Used used for lifting operations of up to 20,000 pounds" is not the same as stating "The lifting capacity of the crane is 20,000 pounds".

This issue is either clarified or made more confusing by reading the "CRANE CAPACITY"
data plate on page 2-155 of the same TM (see below). It states the crane capacity with outriggers set and boom fully retracted as 10,000 pounds with TWO part hoist line.

However, if you read the very fine print below the capacity table (this is where I needed the magnifying glass), it states "Maximum capacity with boom retracted and boom supported to frame - 20,000 pounds @ 10 ft radius and outriggers down 3 part line. 20,000 pounds @ 15 ft radius with boom jacks to ground 3 part line - rear outriggers up".

If the boom is being supported by either the boom supports or boom jacks, then the crane itself is NOT lifting anything, it is the crane winch providing all of the lifting effort. All the crane is doing is providing a conduit for the winch cable.

Hence my conclusion is that the capacity of hydraulic crane itself is only 10,000 pounds, the winch capacity, with the boom properly supported, is 20,000 pounds WITH 3 part line. Of course, that would mean the actual winch capacity running a single line would be in the neighborhood of 6800 pounds.

rizzo

RE: Re: RE: WANTED - M816 Snatch Block AKA Tackle Block/Shea

good point.

I still think that it is a 5ton winch cause they may be underrated. I do see your point and agree with your conclusions not counting underrating.

Have we figured out if CT want the 5/8 block for the front winch or the block for the crane?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: WANTED - M816 Snatch Block AKA Tackle Block/

rizzo said:
Have we figured out if CT want the 5/8 block for the front winch or the block for the crane?
He has no crane that uses wire rope, so he wants the snatch block for the 5-ton front winch (just to make it more useful). The snatch blocks for the deuce winch have come in handy more than once and it's time to prep the 8x8 winch with accessories, so it is the 5/8 snatch block. :)

PS. The hydraulic crane in the avatar has almost the identical ratings as the M816 without outriggers.