• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT?!? $756.32 Won EVERYTHING! (M35A2)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! You may be able to bend the step back into shape and use it as well.
Yup!

I forgot to mention the "extras" that came with the bumper....

1. One bent, but salvagable step;

2. One shackle (anybody have an extra to "donate"?)

3. Used ALL their newer bolts for mounting - they're really nice guys [thumbzup]

4. Bumper has three threaded posts welded on top (visible in pics 9 & 10 above) - I think they are for carrying a towbar - Can anyone confirm this? The two on the outboard ends will be handy for flag pole mounting - I used to U-bolt my flagpole to the Brush Guard frame.

[thumbzup] I think I got a good deal :jumpin:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nose and bumper of The Ark are now painted - - - Just need to add the Bumper Numbers. I put the stencils "some place safe" and now I can't find 'em. Getting old and forgetful I suppose. I'll keep hunting for the stencils and post more pics when that task is done as well.

Yes, that's an Audie Murphy commemorative GI JOE on the Deuce.
Ref this thread for Audie's story: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/69105-audie-murphy-gi-joe-new-steelsoldier.html

edit - added:
The fresh little drip under the front differential is some WD-40 - The right front axle seal leaked some on my last HOT-day outing (100+F), so I checked the vent... STUCK.... So I sprayed all three axle vents with "Wonder Drug-40" and they all bounce freely now. (Only the front vent was stuck.) We'll see if that fixed the little problem.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found those wiley stencils.... Yup! They were "right where I left them." rofl

Lt. Murphy (GI Joe) helped get the job done.

Here's the finished bumper, complete with authentic "stencil overspray" (that was intentional).

Attachments

REO 54

Many VFD Former MV FireTrucks are actually only ON LOAN from Uncle Sam. I got VERY LUCKY in that this one was owned by the COUNTY and on loan to the VFD. They also have another M35 and an M109 assigned to the Sheriff's Department, but they aren't being taken out of service anytime soon.

Uncle Sam's LOANER TRUCKS go back to him when the borrowers are through with them.... then they typically go through GSA AUCTIONS.com

Talk to your Fire Chief, etc. to see what your prospects are.
Nice deal ColdW! Yep,that's how I got my 81'AmGen too.I was greatful to pay 3k for it.An 81'rebuilt in 91' well cared for, new winch, LDS turbo with only 9k miles on it. Cheers!

Loco_Hosa

First of all, Welcome aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Congrats on the "new" truck and the reasonably successful recovery :beer:

May I suggest that BEFORE you get overly excited about the oil leak and possible premature diagnosis, download the TM's for these trucks.

Checking the oil should be done ONE MINUTE after shutting the engine down. This allows some of the oil from the upper cavities of the engine, but not the oil filters, to drain down to the oil pan. Then, at the ONE MINUTE mark, pull the dipstick and read it. Readings at any other time may cause over- or under-filling.

If your engine is carrying too much oil, you could have related leakage.

ALSO, overfilling of the transmission is a COMMON PROBLEM. Overfilled transmissions "self-drain" into the bellp housing. When the tranny warms up and pressure builds, they then blow past the front seal and then drop out the weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing.

Check these out before prouncing your rear main seal guilty.

Our Deuce leaked from the weep hole - It turned out to be an overfilled tranny. She doesn't drip anymore and I never sucked any excess out of the tranny. I just let it "self-adjust", but monitored it OFTEN.

A Member here - CARNAC - is able to research vehicle histories. Check out this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/62871-2011-vin-info-thread.html
Be sure to READ the very FIRST POST in the thread - He gives very good instructions to make it easy for him to process a request.

Again... W E L C O M E ! ! !

John
San Angelo, Tx, USA
Great information! I think my new truck has a leaky rear main. I pulled the dip stick after she had been sitting for about 5 mins and it showed pretty low. Having only been a deuce owner for a few days though, I have not read all the TMs yet. (Working on it)

Now, I was told that gear oil looses that smell after too many years. Is this true? Either way it looks like I need to pull that big heavy ass trans in the near future.

Yay :p

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The saga continues - Alternative Fuel experience

Well, I have bitten the bullet and am now burning a 50/50 mix of Diesel and WVO (Waste Veggie Oil).

Some dear friends of ours LOVE fried foods and even have a Turkey Fryer. They have been graciously saving the WVO (pretty clean stuff) for The ARK. (I guess they aren't worried about diet and clogged arteries - But I'll save that for another discussion.)

Anywaze.....

I've set up a simple filtration system and produced the first batch of "clean" WVO. I put about 14 gallons in, and running on the safe side, got a good 12 gallons of WVO out. The "dregs" were dispersed onto my final-stage garden compost pile which is ready to be turned into the garden mid-summer for the fall crops.

The ARK had 10-12 gallons of straight Diesel in the tank, and I added the 12 gallons of WVO into it.

I didn't to anything to mix it up, just hopped in, powered her up and hit the starter. With this, I'm sure that the first start was done on pure Diesel. I then set the throttle to a "high idle" 1000-1100 rpm. and let the in-tank pump do the circulating and stirring.

After about five minutes of "high idle", she stalled. Immediately, I restarted her and she kicked right over. I'm guessing that the stall (totally out of character) was an indication that a slug of WVO had gotten to the FDC. She never stalled again. I let her "high idle" for a full 30 minutes - Engine temp up to normal operating range for the last 10 minutes of that time. At that point I backed off the throttle and let the turbo cool down for the recommended 5 minutes, then I shut her down for the night. I DID NOT drive her that evening.

Skipping two nights (busy) I hopped in on the third evening and, without anything special or unusual, she fired right up. And, true to her character, I never heard her CRANK - She just started running.

It might be good to note that we have had daily temps topping out at or above 100F for almost a week, and the nightly temps are 65-75F, so the WVO is never really "cool" in the fuel tank, line, filters or pump(s).

Today was "Test Drive Day". Shortly after noon, I again fired her right up. After a warm-up, I rolled out of the yard and away we went. I honestly believe that the Diesel/WVO mix runs a little quieter. It is DEFINITELY a lot less smokey at low rpm & heavy load. Power delivery is as good as, if not better, than when running on the straight Diesel, too ! I also noted that the exhaust - when it blew into the cab - has a bit of a cooking smell, rather than a burnt fuel odor.

Well, I'd say this experience has been a good one.

With Diesel at $4+/Gallon, I like the FREE WVO approach.

As for WVO sourcing:
I have TWO tortilla chip "factories" and a handful of restaurants willing to GIVE me all the WVO that I can take. I'm "negotiating" with one of the Chip Makers to "loan" me two TOTES. One for filtered WVO (and to use as a fueling station) and the other to repeatedly swap out as I pick up WVO from them and others.

It looks like my next challenge will be figuring out how I'm going to drive The ARK enough to consume all the WVO that's available..... Don't ya just HATE having problems like that one???

[thumbzup]:grd:

Last edited:

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just got the call...

My bid won the following:

Here's what the ad said:

1- 2.5 ton 1968 am general truck
vin#032513579
6x6 wheel drive military truck
cab and chasssis only, no bed
extra engine goes with it
some extra parts

so, i bid low at $756.32 and won (the only other bid was $325.00), so the county commissioners couldn't reject mine for low-balling!
She's a recently retired fire truck that starts at the lightest touch of the starter button (you never hear her crank, she just starts running)

the fire department upgraded to an m35a3, so they reitred her and flipped the brush-truck bed to the a3.

The a3 bed is available to me (see the other thread i started on its recovery).

I will post pics asap - - please be patient!!!

The extra engine is a rebuilt - still in the can - multi-fuel missing only the starter and injector pump which were consumed as spares on the deuce i won.

The parts are in boxes, and i haven't inventoried them yet.

The truck has a history too! I'll post those details soon.

If all works out, i'll recover the deuce, bed, engine and parts in a single trip within a week.

Stay tuned for exciting updates:driver::!::cookoo::jumpin:

Ps: This is one win that i have every confidence will be a drive home recovery.
good deal

Ripcord01

This is some good readin'. Your truck is awesome. You know you have a good truck when it looks good painted bright red, and then the camo conversion was the topping on the icecream.. You Sir are blessed.

axlr8

you sir are one lucky duck....i have been researching deuces for over a year but dont have fundind to purchase as im only 16 years old and jobless...if somemone wants a deuce gone and is willing to sell it to me for a whole summer of labor, im up for the challenge, but id seriously be intrigued to see more on this deuce! :-o

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you sir are one lucky duck....i have been researching deuces for over a year but dont have fundind to purchase as im only 16 years old and jobless...if somemone wants a deuce gone and is willing to sell it to me for a whole summer of labor, im up for the challenge, but id seriously be intrigued to see more on this deuce! :-o
First off....

The West Texas Detachment of the SS welcomes you aboard :-D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Next...

Good luck on your search for a Deuce. My best advice would be to be patient, keep your eyes open, and pray.

Your idea of "Will work for Duece" is a good one and hopefully there is someone willing to take on that proposal.

Also, while you're looking, read, Read, READ all that you can on the forums. That's how I learned what I know about these GREAT trucks.

Stay in touch and keep us all posted.

John

axlr8

i tell you what...you can learn a ton an forums like these....i was begging for 2 years for my parents to buy me a snowmobile and they finally did on christmas this past year....it broke and i had no money to fix it....so i went and found arctic chat....i have totally rebuilt one sled and am now selling my second i just finished....i can fix almost anything on a sled from 1968 to 2008....the latest ones are too high tech for a pole barn workshop :p someday ill have my snowmobiles all piled up and in the back of a bobbed deuce on 53s :beer: dreams and wishes are aided by gods thoughts....thats all imma say...:)

TJP

Partly cloudy this morning temp is about 65 it may get to 85 or 90. Thank god for that, the heat has kit our but out here this year.

tobyS

Great thread. Reminds me of my find of a boom truck 24 years ago for $1500. My wife NEVER lets me forget it since it cost us our honeymoon money.

It's getting tired now with checked tires, but still starts up and does my lifting. The boom is rebuilt and perfectly straight (reaches 51') and all seals replaced (swivel starting to leak some).

BTW, if anyone has (6 or 7) 9.00x20 titans (or equal in super singles with 6 lug deuce/Rockwell pattern) in good condition (cheap or barter) near Indiana, please PM me.

Anyway... hope you have a long and prosperous ride with your new/old M35.

Attachments

Last edited: