• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXTAC

Drove 120 miles round trip (without issue) to Starved Rock State Park with the family. We enjoyed an 85 degree day in mid October! Longest trip I've taken in Mongo since purchased earlier this year. I'd feel more comfortable with a jack and lug wrench!

trukhead

All charged up!!!

I am going to fugurate on the issue of using one altenator and battery for 12 volts on my m1028 and m1008 without cutting any wires.

I want to install jumpers across the glow resistor,

use on positive and negative to the junction blocks,

avoid and internal short betwixt the two alternator wiring harnesses,

utilize the direct 12 volts to operate the truck froim the junction blocks,

isolate the blackout lights to avoid a short,

contemplicate on the issue of the second altenator light,

not cut any wires so the trucks can be put back to 24 volts when the good fairy leaves me some alternators under my tool box.

:grd:

:lost:

:jumpin:

hope I'm not aua

Oh I found 12 inch front springs, rear shackle mount flips for installing rockwells under all the residue truck parts and I just got in 6 brandy new M35a3 wheels and a new rebuilt steer rockwell and paid 4 the rear rockwell that is still1100 miles away and I'm gonna get 6 new 14.5 x20 tires and keep..... the truck wont be titled as it is from the parts that are left over from a residue truck that can't have an sf97 isssued...

how do I add pictures?

Last edited:
Did the doghead mod today. Very easy. Some of the wires looked like they needed freshening up, so probably a good thing. Don't know how much difference it will make, but I'll take all of yours' words on it.

Started up just fine, so I'm assuming I didn't bungle anything. Thanks Doghead.

willey10

I hate to say it but might save someone else the grief.
I was changing my glow plugs ( some were swollen),
I used the official tool pulled them out ,discarded them (without looking them over)
one tip had broken off,
guess how I found this out ?
TAP TAP TAP after I started it !!!
I pushed it in the garage,got new gaskets and head bolts started disassembling ,
more on the progress later.
(maybe some pictures !!!)
I keep telling myself we are only human
just a mistake
that didn't help!!!

CycleJay

Hi all,

Today I installed a brand new license plate light over my licence plate on the tailgate,
of my M1009. Got it wired up, and it works quite well, and does a good job lighting
up the license plate.

That is all..

Photos will be taken upon request..

If you want the part number, feel free to ask.

Have a good night,

CJ

Iamnewatthis

Stuff I did to my 85'

Stuff I did- painted the bumpers, grill guard and mirrors black.
Hard to see in the pic but for $40 got a gallon of plasti-kote brand rhino hyde type stuff at tractor supply and did the back inside.
pressure washed/dryed the whole inside floor and painted it with rustoleum.
did entire front floor with "hush-mat" for noise vibration and heat. (helped quite a bit)
for $20 got a roll of indoor/outdoor carpet and put that in over the hush mat.
There's about 4 cans of spray on rubber paint from tractor supply underneath most of the truck.
Removed old seats, bought some off road racing seats from JC whittney. ( Had to fabricate some adapters to
get them to bolt to the original sliders/brackets).
Also cleaned, lubricated, painted everything on the original brackets/sliders.
The back seat was in great shape so just did the same to it and bought a cheap seat cover at wally world.
Removed old seat belts and put in some 4 points.
All the original bolts for seats/brackets were cleaned in my hornady sonic cleaner, then either lubricated with
break free, or loc-tited depending on thier function.
Put 4 new shocks on also from JC whittney's.
New review mirrow
Got a new "dash mat" cover for the dash.
Painted the interior roof and sides black.
Installed my hi-lift jack with 2 brackets.
Installed the gas can mount.
Put a tag light on.
Bought 2 new tires.
Replaced tranny pan gaskit and tranny oil filter.
As per advisement on "steel soldiers", replaced starter relay, glow plug relay, and CDR valve.
Replaced a couple of belts.
Every bolt or screw that sticks thru the bottom as been covered in spray on rubber.
Changed oil/filter.
Runs like a champ.
Was serviced by Army last year and had allot of new parts on it already.
I.E. break master cyl., power steering hoses, wiper motor, starter, battery's, batt. cables,
alternators look fairly new.

K9Vic

Well this weekend I spent it all working on my M1009 getting it ready for a road trip to Hooks Texas to get my M101A2 trailer I won on GL in a few weeks. Saturday and Sunday was spent just making sure everything was OK in addition to two rebuilt Alternators I installed on Wednesday. WHile checking the brakes the fronts were all good, but the rear seals on the cylinders were shot and ripped out when I took the shoes off. So I replaced both of them and added new shoes while I was there, but the rotors were OK. I also replaced the brake light switch as it was sticking, keeping the brake light one too long. I also replaced the dimmer switch as it failed out on me a few weeks ago. I also replaced the glow plugs as it is starting to get cold and I was cycling twice to start it, now it starts right away. Then finally added a 12v jump start system like the ones on the tow trucks with that long 20ft cable that plugs into the rectangle plug. While I was installing that cleaned up the wiring in the truck and wire tied hanging wires for a cleaner look.

Then the major update I added a AM/FM/MP3 stereo (No CD) in my center console with two speakers in the dash that I installed a few months ago in preparation for the radio. It is a cheap Dual radio I bought for $50 and does not have any moving parts as in no CD or tape, just radio and USB/SD inputs for MP3s. I hooked up the front speakers and rear speakers I connected to a headphone jack to use a head set. This is so I can hear the music on the freeway as these are loud trucks and I drive with a headset on long trips, so it all works out. The console also has a lock box and another storage box that does not lock with padded arm rest. Then my Federal Signal 100watt air horn only driver and switch box to control/power everything.

I am now tired and going to sleep after a few :beer: :p

Attachments

Lawrence of Arabia

Had all my lock cylinders & ignition switch changed to a different style key so no scum bag steels my ride. For the money it cost me, I would suggest anyone owning a CUCV to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks