• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the thread in the 939 brake chamber

hot rod deuce

I bought a 939 series truck and dont think it will run. Which axle has the maxie/spring/parking brake on it? What is the thread I need to screw into it to get the brakes pulled off?

Thanks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the axle with the large cans on it. It is a special tool...on civi trucks anyway...it should be on the side of the can. It looks like a t-bolt, 1/2 x 13 threads or machine threads. Lemmie see if I can dig up a pic.

Last edited:

Cdub

I bought a 939 series truck and dont think it will run. Which axle has the maxie/spring/parking brake on it? What is the thread I need to screw into it to get the brakes pulled off?

Thanks
Hi,

You will need four of the releasing tools for both rear axles(one per wheel). They may be set in the docking holder on each side of the air brake chamers if you take a look. Most trucks parts stores will have them in stock.

Cheers,

C'dub

Monkeyboyarmy

I just checked my 923 and both rear axles have spring brakes.The caging bolt has an acme thread but they do not screw into the brake chamber.There is a "T" shape on the non-threaded end that you push into the chamber and turn it to lock it in place.Then use the washer and nut to compress the spring and release the brake.Any truck service center should have these.I would bet that if the army or GL had to move the truck around that the brakes are already caged.These trucks have wedge brakes and not "S" can brakes but the brake chambers are about the same.

hot rod deuce

Hey, thanks alot guys!
I have a few of the ones with the T on the end for regualer S cam's Some one told me they were special to the 939's.

Crash_AF

Just went through this with my 936... they are the same as a civilian brake cage bolt. NAPA can order them and you do need one per rear brake drum.
Later,
Joe