• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What ratio are you thinning Sherwin Williams CARC MIL-DTL-53039D ?

sschaefer3

I used 5 to 1 last time and the guy at SW said they typically use 6 to 1. What have some of you used and what have you found to work best?

You can still buy this paint at a SW "Product Finishes" Chemical Coatings location. There is one in Phoenix.

Thanks-

zout

Do not ever believe a counter sales person - for SW and any other chemical bases spray look up the web their EXACT mixing ratio's for that specific paint. Make sure you have paint mixing cups for these exact ratio's as well. Do not fudge on them - use them as directed.

Also - use the exact product by the manufacture for mixing - meaning do not mix Napa reducers with SW products - all the way across the board with all paint manufactures.
Now Behr paint is a whole nother thing as they are water based.
Hope this helps.

sschaefer3

I have the SW reducer, but the counter guy could not find the mixing ratio. I can't seem to either. 5 to 1 worked OK, but I think I could do better.

zout

This is weied because their OEM site says:
Mixing Ratio (by volume):​
4 parts Component A E90W501​
1 part maximum Component B V93V505

sschaefer3

OK I did it right last time. I have SW

MIL-T-81772B, Type I, Amendment I
Thinner, Aircraft Coating Polyurethane

NSN: 8010-00-181-8080

R91 K 20
825-0839