• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should I do to my CUCV?

pd2fly

A nod to DXTAC and his What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? thread.

I want to know what ya'll think I must/need/should do to improve my new vehicle. Short of suggesting I ship it to you, I will entertain all offers.

I am the brand new owner (although have yet to take delivery) of an '84 m1008 that has a 1028 contact bed. I'm very excited, and am wondering what sort of upgrade ideas ya'll have? The last military vehicle I 'owned' they wouldn't let me bring home at the end of the day. Since I did not have the opportunity to make improvements, I feel the need.

I will post pictures later, but would love to have input from the more experienced of you as to what you consider to be basic, minimal improvements to a CUCV. Some upgrades I've already made include 4 wheel disc brakes, transmission cooler, h2o temp/oil pressure guage and 2 x 12v outlets/cigarette lighters. All fluids, seals, belts have been serviced. New plugs.

Anyone installed an era-correct radio? Gotta listen to my Cards and talk radio, but want it to appear like it came with the vehicle. Is the radio cut-out there? I've been told the wiring harness is not installed.

How about a Franz oil filter, or additional fuel filter? I've always had Raycors on my sailboats, are they a good choice for this vehicle?

A simple, one-piece slide over seat cover would be nice. The seat does not need recovered, it is just fugly. I hate the 'pimp-my-ride' maroon color. And black seat belts would be nice, too. Everything else I had changed to black.

Is there a 3rd/middle seat belt? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Even though my cab floor is sprayed I would like a molded, one-piece vinyl mat. Same for the inside of the service bed, if available. Is there a military roof rack for a single cab pickup? Is there a roof rack for a 1028 bed? How about a ladder for getting on top of the bed?

Not interested in electrical system upgrades (A/C, power windows, etc) - want to keep it simple as possible, but I'm open to any and all ideas that make the vehicle more road worthy, off-road worthy, dependable, reliable, surviveable, improve mileage, etc. No plans of lifting the body/suspension or using monster tires - wanting to keep stock appearance as much as possible.

I thank you in advance for reading this.

Bruce

ps - this will be my daily driver, if that influences any of your suggestions.

Last edited:

pd2fly

great idea!!!

Danger,

Exactly the type of suggestion I was hoping for!!!

This is going to be painful, for me anyway. But I have to say thank you and acknowledge a Cyclone. Especially considering I've always had tranformers on my sailboats. And the 1028 is full of places to install and hide in a safe and protected area. Some times I just can't see the trees because of the forest.

But in all seriousness, that wasn't nearly as painful as what your football team has done to us over the past decade or so. Ouch

Too bad you're not an electrical engineer, I could drive up and enlist your help for the installation process. This will be one of, if not the first, upgrades I make.

Thanks,

Bruce

Please tell me your loyality remains tOSU. That will make this poisonous pill easier to swallow. (I was born at tOSU Hospital and lived in Ohio until I was 7 yrs old.)

And to those of you knowledgeable about the 1028 bed, it was stripped of all the PTO driven stuff long before I came along. Besides, my 1008 has the NP208 transfer case - ie, no PTO.

Last edited:

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO to,,,with it?

HI do with it?? well save the bed and the rest.......1 word CRUSHER :beer: put bed on an M880 Chasis,sorry mopar guy here. :):beer:

pd2fly

tyvm for being so constructive

Wild,

Trolling has always struck me as a sad way to go through life, but what ever floats your boat.

Good karma,

Bruce

Danger Ranger

Danger,

Exactly the type of suggestion I was hoping for!!!

This is going to be painful, for me anyway. But I have to say thank you and acknowledge a Cyclone. Especially considering I've always had tranformers on my sailboats. And the 1028 is full of places to install and hide in a safe and protected area. Some times I just can't see the trees because of the forest.

But in all seriousness, that wasn't nearly as painful as what your football team has done to us over the past decade or so. Ouch

Too bad you're not an electrical engineer, I could drive up and enlist your help for the installation process. This will be one of, if not the first, upgrades I make.

Thanks,

Bruce

Please tell me your loyality remains tOSU. That will make this poisonous pill easier to swallow. (I was born at tOSU Hospital and lived in Ohio until I was 7 yrs old.)

And to those of you knowledgeable about the 1028 bed, it was stripped of all the PTO driven stuff long before I came along. Besides, my 1008 has the NP208 transfer case - ie, no PTO.
Yeah, I like OSU, and they were my second choice for a school, but I couldn't do the city. And ISU has a better program, and its cheaper, well for me anyhow.
Not many OH people out here, but somehow I manage, adn have found some goofy dorks from Iowa and Illinois to hang out with. There are a couple members in DSM area. Search for some Iowa theads.

Be sure to find the Jeep show next sept, and mil show this weekend.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have 1

HI Bruce its ok I have a 84 GMC 1 ton deuley 4 door :shock: yup it has an x M997 6.2 L eng too. I may fix it (not running now) or scrap it,if i do most of the parts will work on a M1008 etc too.

pd2fly

Congrats on your new truck. I've got many similar questions. Picking my 1st one up in 8 hrs ~ cant sleep.
Let's keep each other abreast as we travel this path. I would love to hear about and share what we are learning.

I probably won't take delivery until early November, but I was assured it would be before the first Tuesday, and that's enough for me.

Bruce

pd2fly

late night/early morning brainstorm

Any 'military sourced vehicle' ideas for folding troop seats for a 1028 bed?

I used to own a Toyota FJ-40 that had foldable, opposing seats in the back. They would be way too short for what I am looking for; but a longer, yet still foldable version might make for a nice addition to the inside of my contact bed. The frame work would be most important. The C-130 has a foldable seat also, but it is so criminally uncomfortable as to not not warrant consideration.

Do any of the larger MVs have the necessary framework? Lay some plywood, foam, cover, add a lee cloth and you could easily have bunkbeds for 4 without losing much space.

Ideas/suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance,

Bruce

Last edited:

pd2fly

folding troop seats

Folding? Because if they are not folding they will waste way too much space and will not be viable.

Thanks,

Bruce

Last edited:

pd2fly

you're right - they do fold!

Danger,
Thanks again - the CUCV troop seats do fold. Now I need to find 2 complete sets so I can have upper and lower bunks in my contact bed.

Anyone have troops seats for sale or know of a source? Would prefer they be in the midwest so I can pickup.

Bruce

Danger Ranger

Check the classifieds, or post a wanted ad.

You need to do a lot of reading on here, and I mean a lot.
Everything I have told you came from this site in one way, shape, or form.
Start in the CUCV forums and you may find there are enough things in one to keep even an electrical engineer busy.

Ask questions, but read first. There are many very knowledgable guys on here, plus you can download the TMs for the trucks. Read those too.

Whitfield

For a stock daily driver I'd have to add tire / gear / or both but my commute is 30 miles of I-95 HWY.

My current plan is tow pig / work truck / inboard ski boat hauler. I keep looking at 33's / & 35's ~ but at $100 each the Goodyear 37's are very tempting.

Stock shaft knob radio hole provision is prepunched in my metal dash. Military black dash bezzel covers it up.

I've got a few issues with mine. I'm trying to attack the work by sorting them into systems. 1 system at a time helps me to stay focused. Today glow plugs, Found ( 2 ) bad and possible GP controller malfunction (Low voltage supply or bad card). Wifey came home with 8 new 60g glow plugs 30 min after I left to work a 16 hr shift. Looks like Franken storm (Hurricane Sandy) may slow my progress until Monday / Tuesday.