• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What the ... ?%$# all fluids drained by DOD, any help would be appreciated.

DEA AK

Hi all,

brand new to this, didn't even expect to win the bid but here I am.

Couple of quick things.

First, can I temporarily wire in a switch for the fan heater, this is missing and I will need to run the fan to make sure the coolant is getting circulated (from what I understand).

Also, I was told by the yard, that the DOD was going to crush this vehicle so all the fluids were drained.

I am looking for the right list of fluids and can probably do engine, transfer case, geared hubs, diffs with no problem since I've done oil changes before.

My questionable knowledge on the transfer case fill and coolant fill is what concerns me - can anyone help by giving me the right way to go about filling both the transmission and coolant?

Thank you!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, what is the model of truck? It does make a little bit of a difference for things.
In your other thread you mention an M1097A2, so I'm going to go with that one for advice.

After that, all the questions you are asking are answered in the manuals, but fluids are pretty straight forward. Find the fill plug, and add fluid until it is up to the fill plug.
Coolant is add coolant until full, then run truck with fill cap off and top off as needed until it won't take anymore.

The heater core is operated by a cable, not an electrical solenoid, so you don't need to wire in a switch to operate it. Need to either find the cable end, or find the valve and turn it manually.

Transmission is add fluid through the dipstick tube, and then start and run vehicle. Have vehicle in Park and while idling engine check fluid level. Fill to proper level.

Here is a link to all the manuals

Here is a copy of the Lube Order, which has the type of fluid, quantity, and fill location. Only thing to note is it may say to use DEX II which is unavailable, so use DEX III in it's place. DEX VI can also be used in the transmission, but it is not recommended by GM for any other applications as there is an increased failure rate with it's use in transfer cases and other manual gear box applications.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One additional piece of advice for the future when you're draining/changing fluids:

Always open the fill plug first.

On more than one occasion someone has drained the fluid from something, only to find a short time later that the fill plug is unable to be opened for whatever reason, and getting the proper tools or getting it somewhere to someone with the proper tools and experience was made exponentially harder than it need to be because it had to be put on a trailer/tow truck in order to be moved, or it sat undrivable during that time, when if the fill plug was checked first and found to be stuck, the component was not drained and truck could be driven until the plug was repaired.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not uncommon for a truck/generator/whatever, to have all the fluids drained, everything I have bought coming out of Air Force service have had all the fluids drained.
Anyone buying anything out of DRMO should immediately change all the fluids and filters anyway, it is part of the initial "inspection"

DEA AK

First of all, what is the model of truck? It does make a little bit of a difference for things.
In your other thread you mention an M1097A2, so I'm going to go with that one for advice.

After that, all the questions you are asking are answered in the manuals, but fluids are pretty straight forward. Find the fill plug, and add fluid until it is up to the fill plug.
Coolant is add coolant until full, then run truck with fill cap off and top off as needed until it won't take anymore.

The heater core is operated by a cable, not an electrical solenoid, so you don't need to wire in a switch to operate it. Need to either find the cable end, or find the valve and turn it manually.

Transmission is add fluid through the dipstick tube, and then start and run vehicle. Have vehicle in Park and while idling engine check fluid level. Fill to proper level.

Here is a link to all the manuals

Here is a copy of the Lube Order, which has the type of fluid, quantity, and fill location. Only thing to note is it may say to use DEX II which is unavailable, so use DEX III in it's place. DEX VI can also be used in the transmission, but it is not recommended by GM for any other applications as there is an increased failure rate with it's use in transfer cases and other manual gear box applications.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks