• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to expect to pay for "super single" tires

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I drove an A3 back from South Carolina to AL for a fellow SS member and I liked the way it ran. The creature comforts (seat, electric wipers, etc) were nice but I still had to wear my hearing protectors.
In my opinion, and I have been around deuces since 1972, the A3 was a good idea in theory but a bad design in practice.
The Cat engine is fine as long as you don't have one that has problems. Anything painted yellow is going to kick your azz when it breaks. And that engine is not well liked in the civilian world.
The A3 violates the KISS principle on too many levels.
The CTIS is a constant pain when it goes bad.....most of the ones I have seen at Redstone or other GL lots had at least one tire flat from leaks.
You lose the multi-fuel capability and cannot push start it if you have dead batteries.
It is also slower on the road than the A2's.
If you are happy with yours then enjoy....that is what this hobby is all about.
I support your freedom to choose.
Even though I don't want to own Gamma Goats, CUCV's, Mules and other MV types doesn't mean I don't appreciate the way the owners use and enjoy them.
We all have our preferences.

bratpackdad

Ditto, the I've driven both and for extended trips. The A3 is comfortable but not to the point that it makes up for
it's lack of performance. It's nice not to shift in traffic, but it seemed like a bus rather than a MV.2cents

Cost is not the reasoning of an A2, the noisy turd of an LDT engine and the manual transmission are my calling. A3s seem to have many advantages but I do not own a forklift or a crew of men to help me swap drivetrain parts on one of these machines, so an A2 it will be.
Yes, the A2 is..noisy beast that is difficult to talk in. The multifuel engine is.a.great thing to have if you have ready assess.to used oil--motor.oil or veggie oil from McDs... Many folks don't like the slanted.hood on the A3. however,.I don't understand the.need for.a.fork lift. Axles on both weigh.about the same in both the A2 and.A3. Yes, changing a.tire.is.harder. (There are.tricks.to.make.this.easier). But if you are singling it out,.this is.a.moot point. Same.weight. Also, most wheels.for the larger tires are.not.DOT approved. Both are.good trucks and a blast to drive. 0-50, I have always smoked any A2 that has not been tweeked. After 50, they blast.right past.me every time. With the A2s, my first choice would.be one of those in the last bunch made.just for.the airforce. They have dual circuit breaks and electric wipers. Many (most?) Also had hard tops.

Last edited:

flyxpl

The 395's on A3 rims is a no no . But it can be done and has been done . A 395 on a A3 rim is no worse than a 395 on a stock deuce rim . The stock rims are too narrow for 395's . It makes no sense to me to put a tube in a high dollar tubeless radial tire . If you want to do it right go with converted hemmit rims . Using the stock rims in my opinion is half assing it . With the heat these tires build especially with a load they will blow a tube long before a tubeless tire would blow.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say both the A2 and A3's are very reliable if maintained. The A3 will hurt your checkbook if something breaks though. As for the earlier question on the largest dualed tires possible, I have seen several 1100 x 20 tires dualed and they look great. I would think 12.50's would be too close without a spacer.

ranchhopper

I go and pick up a trailer load of 395s every month mostly when I get parts for myself I bring back the tires to make the time, effort and high cost of the fuel pay for the trip I usually get 180 each for them 90-95% tread I like the MVTs myself I usually bring back the 1400X20s too when there is demand for them.

sp00n

thanks for all the information guys. I have sourced an A2 w/w somewhat locally already singled out on Michelin XMLs, but he wants a little more than I have put away for one of these at the moment. Maybe I'll be able to work something out.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I coulda had an A3 for what I have into my A2, I didn't know better at the time. Now I could never get out of it what I have into it. Oh, to answer the original question : I paid $3500 for 7good used tires/wheels, hub flip included, my well worn originals trade in.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks