• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what type of suspention is under this truck

deuce_09

how is this guy running that sized tires and still have tandems..
is it air bags,bigger leafs and arms on a stock setup,4 sets of leaf springs,or some kind of custom setup

Attachments

Unforgiven

Chop the control arms & weld an extension into them. Put two extra-long leafs into the bottom of the leaf packs. That's the only way I've seen to do it (unless you know where to find extra-long control arms that would fit).

Notice the guy also chopped the bed to 9' to make room for a bigger radiator. He probably swapped engines to turn those larger wheels & needed the extra cooling capacity.

Greeniron2010

Banned
That truck pictured looks like a 818. But instead of 5th wheel they put a deuce bed shortened on it and hemtt wheels, with 1600s. I bet rest of truck is stock.

Also that looks like a stock spare tire carrier not a bigger radiator

hklvette

That truck pictured looks like a 818. But instead of 5th wheel they put a deuce bed shortened on it and hemtt wheels, with 1600s. I bet rest of truck is stock.

Also that looks like a stock spare tire carrier not a bigger radiator
Dunno about the carrier, but agreed with it starting life as a five-ton. Notice the lack of holes in the side engine cover for an intake.

deuce_09

o so those tire carriers are only on the 5 tons?
im tryin to find one..
and i was wanting to know because i have some 1400-20 micheline x tires but they are like 52" tall. if they'll fit the stock setup on a deuce, thats great but it dont look like it

ida34

I will pile on. It is a five ton M818. You can tell by the battery boxes, long fenders, spare tire mounting, Wheels etc. :deadhorse:

The carrier is M818 specific. The cargo truck M800 series have the tire mounted in the bed at the front. The M900 series cargo Five ton has space in front of the bed and mounts the tire in a similar fashion but on the driver's side. It also has a small boom for raising and lowering the tire. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

hairba11

Thanks for the info. How the HECK do you lift one of those giant tires up there if you have a flat? Or even a stock tire?

Nevermind ... I just read about the boom.

well when the stock tire is an 1100-20, and you have a two man crew...

lean it against the space between the rear axles, heave it on top of the duals, climb up onto the truck, stand the tire up, and roll it to the carrier, then give it a little wiggly-jiggly (technical term) to get it up into the carrier. the diagonal braces hold the tire upright, while you get the bolt lined up with the outside support, tighten the nut to clamp the outside edge to the tire.

not that i've had to do that more than once before looking for a hoist.

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
o so those tire carriers are only on the 5 tons?
im tryin to find one..
and i was wanting to know because i have some 1400-20 micheline x tires but they are like 52" tall. if they'll fit the stock setup on a deuce, thats great but it dont look like it
1400-20's are 49" tall 1600's are 53" tall

The stock deuce rear axles are 48" apart, so obviously you can not put anything bigger than the 46" 395's on the stock deuce tandum setup.

A few posts above Unforgiven - explained how you can modify the deuce rears to fit the big tires, although he did not explain that they will hit the bed & front fenders without a lift.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

MAy 22, 2010.

Goodyear G177's M+S 1100R20's will go on the standard deuce, and they are about 43" OD.

Anything bigger and you probably need a five ton or better yet an HEMTT.....[thumbzup]

I worry somewhat about the liability inherent in altering a forged dogbone link to a different length, when you do that you are adding many more variables into the life cycle calculations..... and if something fails,Ouch!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks