• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the best way to get rid of the asbestos in an M934?

hellpounder

Looking to purchase an M934 to convert into an RV. I read about how they were insulated with asbestos, and I'd like to know what all I need to do to get rid of it. I want to reuse the metal interior, rather than replace it, so if there is also a way of just removing the inner panels with little to no damage, I would love to know.

I'd also love to know what recommendations on replacement insulation would be.

Thanks, guys.

hellpounder

Older vans were installed with asbestos. But not the M939, as far I know. First look. Then decide. But where did you see/hear this?
Sorry for the late reply. Here are a couple of the examples I've come across here:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/m934-expansible.134041/post-1654607

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/m934-expando-van-wall-insulation.155067/

The one I'm looking at is an 1984, and from what I can tell, asbestos was still used regularly until 1989, so it looks like they may have just sealed it up and left it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, first you need to know if there is asbestos in it. Not all have it, and I only know the very old vans fairly well.

I saw a repair facility in Germersheim that removed the asbestos. It used a CARC paint booth and the "Zoot Suit's" used for CARC painting, to remove it.

I also saw a newer Expando VAN without the asbestos installed in it in a repair facility in K-Town. So I know some are without the asbestos. I would not attempt to do it myself, even at the ripe old age of 70. I would tell you to get smart about what ever kind/model van you are going to buy. Do you have a -24P for the M934 expando van?Find the isolation in the -24P and look up the NSN. If its hazardous, the NSN will show that data.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do decide to do it yourself, be sure to understand any state and local laws and regulations on doing any sort of asbestos mitigation.

While not applicable to you, in Minnesota I'm allowed to do 5 linear feet of asbestos removal as the owner of a home, vehicle, etc... But I still need to dispose of it in the correct landfill, it needs to be bagged properly, labeled properly, etc. (5 linear feet really is intended to be a pipe or pipe wrap and nothing more!)

I would definitely call in a pro for an estimate if you do find asbestos that needs to be removed and not do it yourself (without training and proper PPE).