• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to find NOS starters

dstang97

I am looking for a NOS Starter I remember reading you can buy one from napa that replaces the "6598N" does any one have a part number?

I did the math if i buy a used one figure 100 bucks then 100 bucks to rebuild I should probably just buy a new one. Unless someone has some cores or something like that.

And I don't want any chinese starter so don't post that as a suggestion.

TSgt.Kuchta

NAPA starter part number

I just purchased 3 starters from NAPA (long story, vehicle wiring issues).
NAPA part number is 91-01-4417, it is gear reduction unit, 28MT Series.
Manufactured by Wilson Auto Electric. (Wilson Auto Electric - New & Remanufactured Alternators & Starters)

Prices is less than $200.

The NAPA web site states that these are 100% new.
All three of mine have been new and arrived with final production Quality test paper work.

I am 99% sure the Wilson Auto Electric company is out of Canada ( so it's not American Made).

Last edited:

84cucv1ton

these are the 2 i ended up with. WPS. world power systems. both from china. these are 28mt starter. replaced the old gm ones. thats what i was told anyway.. 1 is a 24v. the new one. lasted a few weeks. the dirty one is from a truck i got. 12v lasted about 8 months.. my m1009 has had the original gm starter for 10 years.

to me these are not worth the bother. at all.. rebuild your old one. some pics

Attachments

dstang97

these are the 2 i ended up with. WPS. world power systems. both from china. these are 28mt starter. replaced the old gm ones. thats what i was told anyway.. 1 is a 24v. the new one. lasted a few weeks. the dirty one is from a truck i got. 12v lasted about 8 months.. my m1009 has had the original gm starter for 10 years.

to me these are not worth the bother. at all.. rebuild your old one. some pics
Mine came with a delco starter but 24v to a 12v starter. That's why I need something NOS or oem and rebuild.

Matt1031

What's wrong with the one you have?
As long as they haven't been totally fried by cranking them non-stop for 5 minutes, 95% of the time all they need is a new set of brushes and a solenoid rebuild/replace (contact lug on solenoid + post is usually 1st thing that wears out - open one up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about).

I don't know why most people are so hesitant to take them apart - it's usually a simple fix.

Pics/How-to:
Marine GM Starter Repair

(edit) n/m, didn't see that you were doing a 12v conversion

Last edited:

nattieleather

Is there a rebuild shop in your corrner of the world? I have a guy here that I take starters and alts to all the time. Usually leass than $100 bucks it's like brand new when he's done with it.

The info on the NAPA ones is helpful I have have a cucv motor that has no starter so that is good resource for finding one. I figured the ones on fleebay are chineese junk. Or should be on a chineese junk..lol

dstang97

What's wrong with the one you have?
As long as they haven't been totally fried by cranking them non-stop for 5 minutes, 95% of the time all they need is a new set of brushes and a solenoid rebuild/replace (contact lug on solenoid + post is usually 1st thing that wears out - open one up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about).

I don't know why most people are so hesitant to take them apart - it's usually a simple fix.

Pics/How-to:
Marine GM Starter Repair

(edit) n/m, didn't see that you were doing a 12v conversion
I'm not the person before me messed it all up. That is why I want an oem one

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks