• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get heads worked over??

ratat98

Hey all,
I've come to the conclusion that I need new head gaskets. The engine is losing power, the heads are leaking oil, and the anti-freeze has turned from green to oily brown. (havent checked for water in the oil yet, but it did make some oil last time I checked, so it wouldn't surprise me.) Anyway, I want to get the heads worked over and make sure they aren't warped when I have them off and was wondering where is a good place to get that done? We have a local machine shop, but I don't know if he has the ability to do that. Is there a place I can ship them to?

Thanks in advance!
-Rat

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Local shop is worth checking out for several reasons:
- if it is the only/one of a few shops in the area, they likely work on a wide variety of things, which is never bad
- I was told that the work of planing a head as such is not particularly difficult by machine shop standards; it is not unique or complicated; precision is needed. You may want to assure that they will deepen the valve seats by whatever thickness they remove from the head surface.
- you can bring and pick up your heads in person; if you ship, you need to package properly and have no idea how the velvet-gloved, care-taking, gentle-spirited mail operators treat your product
- you can drop in at a local shop, see how they work and also get local references

My two cents.

Last edited:

diesel583

Any automotive machine shop will be able to do what you need. The older the shop, and employies the better. This is 70 year old tech. Have then checked for cracks, loose valve guides and surfaced.

ratat98

Thanks guys!
The local machinist has been in the business for about 20 years, so I check him out.. He is also a proud owner of a green hmmwv and drools over my deuce, so I have a good friendship with him. He does mostly farm implements, so I don't know how much engine experience he has, but It's worth a try!

Coal Cracker

Thanks guys!
The local machinist has been in the business for about 20 years, so I check him out.. He is also a proud owner of a green hmmwv and drools over my deuce, so I have a good friendship with him. He does mostly farm implements, so I don't know how much engine experience he has, but It's worth a try!

Any machinist familiar with farm apparatus , should be well equipped to do your deuce heads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks