• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which APC's can stop .50 cal AP rounds ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
If you have been to Combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or Vietnam or any war time operation, you know the enemy is carrying some serious stuff along with the AK's and SKS rifles and what not. Our normal Iraqi does have heavy duty weapons. As pointed out they aren't stupid and as dumb as we think the towel head fellows are.

I'm glad were all thinking on the same page :-D- Jay

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so the Taliban have the correct information.

They can hide behind a car door as that will stop a 50 AP round.
They can hide behind a single cinder block type wall as that will stop a 50 AP round.
They can hind behind another Taliban fighter as we all know the round won't go through the first one.

In general the Taliban should consider the 50 AP round to be about the same as normal 5.56 round out of an M4 in stopping power.

Now that they have the correct information let the games begin.

Why yes, I am a sarcastic old fart.

As for anyone needing this type of info my guess (at the risk of upsetting Doghead) is it's for the Zombie apocalypse or the collapse of society in general.

I agree that pointing our specifics on this site about weapons capabilities should be frowned upon even if it available elsewhere.

sw

Craigster

Other useful information, since they are obviously seeking information

Name calling is more effective against American soldiers then 7.62 rounds.
If you are Taliban you should throw down your rifle as it is useless, stand in plain site and yell "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo, Stick your head in Doo Doo".

Another helpful hint. Bright Orange vests and Turbans are harder for American soldiers to see, and the best type of cover to hide from them.

Last edited:

goodguyzy

i think this is a great question in general, do you think this country will be lollipops and sunshine forever? for someone that can afford an APC its a good thing to know. I have a type 2 vest. does this make me a crazy nut? being prepared with vehicles and knowledge is essential in times of crises. I know that there are other sites that deal with these issues but frankly im to busy to read other sites. I like how this site is primarily about OD iron with some lively "educational" conversion

badga the badger

i think our apcs that we use today would be able to stand up against our own weapons, right? so logicly if we use .50 cals, our apcs will be able tolorate them. now apcs that are being phased out our that has already been phased out can't. rule of thumb, if its in use, it most likely can withstand a .50. its its out of use, it cant.

p.s. go suck some lemons towelheads. and some 5.56

kochevnik

Sorry - OP here - I did not mean to ruffle any feathers.

I understand that some of you would be sensitive to this info being on SS, but THIS IS a military vehicle site, and it is hardly anywhere near to classified info - and as someone pointed out, I am only interested in info about pretty old vehicles - the FV432 looks to be the top of my list right now and it's about 40 years old.

Furthermore, the whole point of an APC is in the word 'ARMORED' - I don't think it's completely out of line to know what that really means.

If you REALLY think for a second that the Taliban is going to read this thread and get some info that would help them out then ... I won't finish that thought. I've read Junger's book about Afghanistan - guys on both sides of that conflict already know EXACTLY what capabilities each other has.

As for WHY I wanted to know, as several posters have surmised, my intent was and is to find a vehicle capable of protecting my family if the SHTF. And no, I am not 18, I'm in quite a bit older than that and I have people I am responsible for. I intend to use every bit of my knowledge and abilities to do that. If that offends you, or you think it's foolish, then as Tom Selleck said in one of his cowboy movies, "You have no idea how little I care."

And not to turn this thread into something else, but if you think things arent going to get much worse than they are now, then go read the Fourth Turning book. Figure out that cycles of war run about 80 years - the length of a long human life - just long enough for a society to forget the hard-fought wisdom of its elders.

Now look at this :

1780 Rev War
1860 Civ War
1940 WWII
2020 ?

Those are all eighty years apart - like clockwork. And that's the end of my posting to this thread.

steelandcanvas

Now look at this :

1780 Rev War
1860 Civ War
1940 WWII
2020 ?

Those are all eighty years apart - like clockwork. And that's the end of my posting to this thread.
I don't believe 3 completely different wars for 3 completely different reasons, constitutes a pattern. Where is WW1? I do however, applaud your efforts to keep yourself and those you are responsible for, safe. Man has been fighting on this planet since there was someone to fight with, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Stay Safe, be prepared.

bratpackdad

I have said here many times, we are headed for a serious unpleasant future. However, a tank or APC will not”help" protect your family. It will make you a target. I think you are looking for roving gangs and zombies. Um,... no. The threat to you in the future will be a military one. Your deuce, APC or tank will make you easy to find from the air.:wink:

B3.3T

Ditto. Believing that having an armor vehicle will make you safer is TOTAL FOLLY. It will make you a TARGET. It will be a huge chunk of slow LIABILITY. You will not be able to SUPPORT it. And as is widely known in the military, armor REQUIRES infantry support for protection. Ever hear of a Molotov Cocktail? Without infantry support, one will stop ANY modern tank and certainly ANY apc. You don't need bullets or an RPG. A 12 year old with a good throwing arm and you are toast.

wgtactical

When I bought mine, I wasn't thinking about how many different rounds it could possibly defeat...I just wanted to be able to park somewhere and not worry about door dings :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.