• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which MV Mag issue covers on frame steering box rebuild?

Carl_in_NH

Greetings. I need to eliminate the play in the output shaft of the steering box on my M35. When you rock the steering wheel, the output shaft moves fore-and-aft - so from what I've found searching and PM'ing a few folks here on the site is there's a pair of bearings pressed into the steering box housing that I can drive out once I've taken the box apart.

There's rumor of an article in MV Mag on doing this on-frame rebuild of the steering box - without the TM stated work of removing the injector pump assembly, which I'd really rather not do.

Does anyone know exactly which issue of the magazine has that article? I'm planning on getting a copy before diving into the repair.

I also find it somewhat troubling that TM 9-2320-361-34P, Figure 115, shows the various steering box replaceble parts - but there's no mention of the brass bearings / bushings the output shaft runs in. If I'd not seen people talk about them, I'd guess the output shaft simply ran in the cast housing of the steering box. Hopefully, that isn't so on my truck.

Thanks for any help you can provide - this steering fault is standing between me and an inspection sticker for the truck.

Barrman

That is how I knew which one it was in. I printed out all the tech articles from the cd back in January. I keep 5 in my binder at all times so that when I have to go to a meeting like I do in about 10 minutes. I will have something usefull to read and keep me awake while looking like I am paying attention.