• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

which should I get truck 2.5 ton or 5 ton

mcarpenter

hello, I am a new member and looking for a 6x6 or bobbed truck. I see a lot of 5 tons at the gov. auction site and am wondering if I need a cdl for the 5 ton, the late model trucks seam to have auto. trans. I don't want to drive a big truck without having to shift gears.

Big Z

You will need a class B CDL for the 5 ton. The 2.5 ton does not require a CDL. I would not let a CDL get in the way of you getting a 5 ton. It is not hard to get. You should read up on this forum and the 5 ton forum and learn yourself up on both. I think a 5 ton would be neat to have, but alas, I have started with a 2.5 ton. I've loved the deuce and a half since I drove our FD's, so I bought one just recently.

RealCavDog

The one you can drive and afford.

The search function will show about a dozen threads on this in the last few months !

Welcome to the site, but you might want to try and not beat a very dead horse !

Not to be short, but this subject is very well covered ! [thumbzup]

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

The 800 series (old trucks) have a manual transmission.

They are loud and slow.

In most states you don't need a CDL unless you exceed a certain weight limit with them.

The 900 series have an automatic and straight air brakes.....most states require a CDL with air brake endosement (Class B minimum) to operate them.

They are quiter and more driver friendly.

Everything on a 5 ton is heavy and harder to work with than a deuce or smaller truck.....changing tires will break your back if you don't know what you're doing.

You can do a search and find a lot of info on the respective vehicles.

In my opinion a 5 ton is not a vehicle to cut your teeth on but it's your choice.

Happy trails.:mrgreen:

Tlauden

Simple solution here is to get both!!!! Hahaha

I love my deuce and will never get rid of it but bigger is certainly better, and a 5 ton makes the deuce look like a compact car when they sit side by side.

In the end it comes down to what your going to use it for and which one ya like more. And don't let the no power steering issue be a deciding factor, once ya get a deuce moving it turns just as easy as any modern vehicle

Just my .02 cents

Tyler

bearboley

I have driven both and I lean towards the 5ton I like the Cummings and power steering. Anyway big ugly things like to follow me home. You should see some of my old girlfriend. LMAO:driver:

sandcobra164

I own both and love them all. The Deuce is a very good start and was my starting point. Everything is simple, compared to regular cars, everything is bolted down way too tight and takes very large sockets and wrenches. As you move on to M809 series 5 tons and M939 series 5 tons, you will need some larger sockets, you'll already have the drive tools (3/4" and 1") and with the M939 series, you'll get involved with true air brakes and will need at minimum a Class B CDL or just to be safe, a Class A. You'll learn that if you only want a truck to drive every now and then, a Deuce is perfect, if you want a work truck, get a 5 ton. That's my good deed for the day!!!!

CobraCDR

M35A3 Deuce: 7-8 mpg (per TM 9-2320-386-10)
900 Series 5-ton: 3-4 mpg (per TM 9-2310-272-10)

All depends on what you want to do with it. Hobby vehicle? Work truck? Daily driver? Both are good vehicles, but the 5-ton gets more expensive in several areas. I looked at both and went with the deuce. Will anyone other than you need / want to drive it? They can with the deuce, CDLissues with the 5-ton (not to mention the size). 2cents

Either way, I'm sure you'll end up loving whatever you get.

jluv1185

Pros
Deuce No CDL required, better fuel economy, can burn multiple fuels,
smaller so parts weigh less, front fenders look nomal :wink:

5 Ton Bigger, has power steering....um thats it?

Cons
Deuce No power steering, not as powerful or as big as a 5 ton (duh)

5 Ton Need a CDL, can only burn the expensive green stuff, everything on it
weighs more than a hundred pounds, 5 mpg, the front fenders are...well...you
get my point. :-D

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton you can run 16x20 xzl without any mods but I think 395's look proper.
As for bober on eather Deuce or 5 ton without lockers at least in the rear you would be better to leave them tandems if you plan to offroad / mud.
I will take a 5 ton over a Deuce any day but then again I have more than one of each.

91W350

I have done quite a bit of work on deuces in the last year. They are not bad at all. I can tell you that the five ton is big, everything in the drive train is big and heavy. The cabs may be the same size and overall width and length may not be that much different, but that five ton is overkill, unless you really want a work truck. I have not been close to overloading a deuce yet. If you surf You Tube and watch the deuce videos, how much more abuse do you really expect one to take? It becomes what your body can stand, not what the truck can do. I like them both, always wanted to do a five ton, we have six of them now....but I am still a little overwhelmed with deuce work that needs done. I am sure eventually, I will start on a five ton. They are correct though, park them side by side and the big boy is readily obvious. Glen

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a Deuce. Get a 5-ton. Check your local DMV laws as there may not be a need for a CDL.

In Ohio CDL has exemptions for certain uses, one being personal use.

And welcome to the site. I had one of my Deuces in a parade in the morning and at a fundraiser in the afternoon. That was just yesterday.

:)

mcarpenter

M35A3 Deuce: 7-8 mpg (per TM 9-2320-386-10)
900 Series 5-ton: 3-4 mpg (per TM 9-2310-272-10)

All depends on what you want to do with it. Hobby vehicle? Work truck? Daily driver? Both are good vehicles, but the 5-ton gets more expensive in several areas. I looked at both and went with the deuce. Will anyone other than you need / want to drive it? They can with the deuce, CDLissues with the 5-ton (not to mention the size). 2cents

Either way, I'm sure you'll end up loving whatever you get.
want it for a hobby, work sometimes, thanks m.carpenter

mcarpenter

leaning towards the deuce, seem to be harder to come by. Been seeing a lot of 5 tons on the gov. auction site. I guess whatever I can find closer to home and in good shape $10k max.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would get the M35A3 because you are interested in bobbong it. And even if you do not bob it , it is already equipped with super singles, a cummins diesel, and added extras. They are many on sale now at govt. liquidation.

If the M35A3 is to expensive try starting out with the M35 series duces.
Get used to it and see if you really want to go bigger. Then sell or keep it and go to the 5 ton.

My two bits....

RealCavDog

I would get the M35A3 because you are interested in bobbong it. And even if you do not bob it , it is already equipped with super singles, a cummins diesel, and added extras. They are many on sale now at govt. liquidation.

If the M35A3 is to expensive try starting out with the M35 series duces.
Get used to it and see if you really want to go bigger. Then sell or keep it and go to the 5 ton.

My two bits....

Don't confuse the Newbie ! M35A3 = Caterpillar, 5-ton = Cummins ! Well, most models [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks