• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who's broke down on I-75 Florida??

sak00

Heading northbound on I-75 MM 289 I just passed a broke down southbound Deuce. Nobody was around and the truck had an orange sticker on it. Looks like FHP had been there to tag it. Anybody here need help, I'm located at MM 301 let me know (813) 380-9262

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Guys, James and I just got back. We struggled for a while trying to get what was left of the bearing off the spindle, no such luck. One of the bearings let go and subsequently caught the hub on fire (flames, the lot), I guess the heat had an affect on the bearing ring, as we absolutely could not get it off.

What we needed was a really long puller, we went to various auto parts stores and none of the pullers had long enough arms to reach the bearing on the inside of the spindle. So with FHP wanting it towed, no chance of flat tow, and heavy rain on the way we called it quits and called in a favor:

Attachments

phil2968

Glad you got it of the spare parts highway before I got to it! You should have called me I have some big pullers at work! Glad you got home safe, still want some help?

SixSpeed

Banned
Glad you got it of the spare parts highway before I got to it! You should have called me I have some big pullers at work! Glad you got home safe, still want some help?
I think Pete had first dibs on parts, LOL.

We still need a big puller I think. Not sure what other options we have for getting it off!

We couldn't find a puller that had a long enough reach from distances shown here:

Attachments

phil2968

Need more then 4.5 inches? (that's what she said)! I have some bigger pullers at work. A torch can also be used to extract the race if used carefully! Give me a call tomorrow on the cell and let me know what i can help you with!

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not thinking a puller is gonna do the job. Either a firewrench or cutoff tool; and even then, you don't know what kind of shape the spindle is in. If it got that hot, you might want to consider a replacement spindle (NO, I don't have one!).

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Pete do you have....awww....:-(

I did manage to get the bearing ring to move a little bit, so I don't think its a lost cause. Just couldn't get near enough pressure on it without a puller.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have to second what PCTrans said about a cutoff. I had a bearing failure on a 4x4 and it really messed up the inner part of the bearing where it met the axle tube. Ended up using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut the inner part of the bearing as a puller would not even budge it. Just be careful with the cutoff wheel and wrap several layers of tape around the axle tube in case you slip.

Ruppster

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you carefully cut diagonally across the ring, you don't have to cut all the way through. Just leave a "little" (blonde * hair) metal next to the spindle. Then take a big chisel, a 5 pound hammer, and smack the crap out of it. It should split open enough to remove.

ca1517

I have a puller, I am close to Atlanta. I know this does not help right now, if you need it, I can ship it down, and you ship it back. Let me know.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be weary of that spindle in the future. Do what you have to now but when possible, source a replacement. The cutoff is probably the best tool. May take a while but it's much more precise than a gas hatchet.

nhdiesel

I'll second the cutoff wheel. As said above, cut diagonally and you will be able to cut more without the wheel hitting the hub. If necessary make another cut 180 degrees from the first then it should split pretty easily.

Check the spindle after. If it got hot enough to discolor it, I would see if you can get a replacement. Most spindles are heat treated, and if it got hot enough, it may have softened the metal and weakened it. I'm not sure if a Deuce's spindle is heat treated, but I'd still use caution.

Jim

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup! Good thing it got towed. I'm coming down thru there this morning. And I need another parts truck! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks