• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Willys from CO to KS

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have reputable shipper recommendation for a Willys Jeep from the CO Springs area to Kansas City, KS area?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got this trailer rated for 16000 lbs. 72" between the wheel wells. 16' deck. I'll be making a deck for it using 2x12's. Appropriate ramps should be easy.

What's your time line?
That would’ve worked, thanks for reaching out. However, I ended up getting it shipped yesterday.

What type of wood are you using for your deck? I need to replace the deck on my trailer, I’m debating just using PT wood from my local HD vs hunting down an oak supplier.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would’ve worked, thanks for reaching out. However, I ended up getting it shipped yesterday.

What type of wood are you using for your deck? I need to replace the deck on my trailer, I’m debating just using PT wood from my local HD vs hunting down an oak supplier.
After agonizing over the decision for weeks, I came to the same conclusion as you - I'm just going to use PT wood from the local lumber supplier.

I got a 2nd similar trailer. The 2nd one is rated 19,800. I'm thinking I'm just going to use 3/16" steel plate for the deck on that one.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After agonizing over the decision for weeks, I came to the same conclusion as you - I'm just going to use PT wood from the local lumber supplier.

I got a 2nd similar trailer. The 2nd one is rated 19,800. I'm thinking I'm just going to use 3/16" steel plate for the deck on that one.
Makes the deck a lot more slippery when decked in metal...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes the deck a lot more slippery when decked in metal...

I welcome any suggestions you may have.

Slipperiness entered my considerations. Diamond plate would offset this to some extent, but I've got plain 3/16 plate lined up at $120 per 4x8 sheet.

I thought to offset this by bedlining it with sand added to the bedliner. Or maybe black diamond abrasive blasting media added to the bedliner.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I welcome any suggestions you may have.

Slipperiness entered my considerations. Diamond plate would offset this to some extent, but I've got plain 3/16 plate lined up at $120 per 4x8 sheet.

I thought to offset this by bedlining it with sand added to the bedliner. Or maybe black diamond abrasive blasting media added to the bedliner.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Yes sir. I am thinking that sand or bedliner sprayed onto the metal would help the slippery condition considerably. I used oak decking on my flatbed 3 axle trailer when I decked it last year. I have walked on it in the rain and it does fairly well. No slipping and falling - Even when walking up the ramps...

Flatbed 3 Axle 01.jpgFlatbed 3 Axle 06.jpg

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To not be locked into one or the other just keep a bucket of coarse sand with lid in the neck of your trailer so if its wet throw some sand on it and if you want it slick to pull something on or off its slick !

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To not be locked into one or the other just keep a bucket of coarse sand with lid in the neck of your trailer so if its wet throw some sand on it and if you want it slick to pull something on or off its slick !
Dry sand on dry steel is also slick by the way. Extremely so.

A handful of sand in a 5ton bed makes it dangerous to walk on.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dry sand on dry steel is also slick by the way. Extremely so.

A handful of sand in a 5ton bed makes it dangerous to walk on.
I guess it all depends on the sand we used to keep a 5 gal bucket in the neck of our low boy when loading rubber tired stuff when it was wet out and it worked great !

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it all depends on the sand we used to keep a 5 gal bucket in the neck of our low boy when loading rubber tired stuff when it was wet out and it worked great !
"When it was wet out.." makes all the difference.

Your idea actually has merit. I may implement it. My trailer will probably rarely be walked on or driven on and will mostly be loaded from the sides using a forklift and palletized items. Having sand available 'just in case' is likely the optimal solution.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"When it was wet out.." makes all the difference.

Your idea actually has merit. I may implement it. My trailer will probably rarely be walked on or driven on and will mostly be loaded from the sides using a forklift and palletized items. Having sand available 'just in case' is likely the optimal solution.
Yes Sir, that sounds like a good plan - and a quick wash-down with a hose when you make it to your destination will clean it up nicely...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir, that sounds like a good plan - and a quick wash-down with a hose when you make it to your destination will clean it up nicely...
Usually by the time you got to the unloading point its all blown off so no clean up ! Back in the day before 4x4 rubber tired hoes were every where the 2 wheel drive on the slick wet hyd. ramps and the weight of the boom made the front ends light and if 1 rear tire so much as slipped in a milasecond you were sitting sideways on the ramps wondering why u havnt already flipped over then you had to man up and drive the hoe on off the side of the ramps (all puckerd up ) and oh what fun it was loading 769 rear dumps or 621/631 pans on the detachable gooseneck trailer with maybe 8
in of the inside of the tire barely on the outside lip of the trailer front and back

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Usually by the time you got to the unloading point its all blown off so no clean up ! Back in the day before 4x4 rubber tired hoes were every where the 2 wheel drive on the slick wet hyd. ramps and the weight of the boom made the front ends light and if 1 rear tire so much as slipped in a milasecond you were sitting sideways on the ramps wondering why u havnt already flipped over then you had to man up and drive the hoe on off the side of the ramps (all puckerd up ) and oh what fun it was loading 769 rear dumps or 621/631 pans on the detachable gooseneck trailer with maybe 8
in of the inside of the tire barely on the outside lip of the trailer front and back
AND, you noticed that it had just rained...
Street and sidewalk are wet.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AND, you noticed that it had just rained...
Street and sidewalk are wet.

AH YEA !!!!! If you were loading tracked eqip it would never rain but the second youve got to move something rubber tired its 40 days and 40 nights !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
AH YEA !!!!! If you were loading tracked eqip it would never rain but the second youve got to move something rubber tired its 40 days and 40 nights !
Yes Sir!

Back when we were loading M4 Tractors with steel track - that hangs off both edges of the trailer by about 6 inches - gets pretty scary "rain or shine".

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir!

Back when we were loading M4 Tractors with steel track - that hangs off both edges of the trailer by about 6 inches - gets pretty scary "rain or shine".
I didnt sweat tracked stuff if you fell off the side the tracks dug in and your fine the rubber tired stuff wants to bounce when the tire hits the ground and the RIDE BEGINS lmao !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks