• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Teardown Q

rustystud

I bet that most of that info is already available in our own library, to be found in TM9-1819AC (Part 5 of 6) Chapter 18, Sections I to VI.

Images and description are so much better than the more recent copies!
Actually the TM9-8617 really goes into great detail on rebuilding. Most people won't need the information about "burnishing" your bushings but it's there if you do need it.
I also have an original copy of the TM 9-1819AC manual. So I know what it has compared to the TM 9-8617 manual which was printed in 1955. So the TM 9-8617 still has pretty good pictures !

ballencd

Can I pull gear end of winch off to replace the drum seal without removing the gears?

:whistle:I'm wanting to replace the drum seal on the drive end of my winch and want to know if the whole end of the winch can be removed without removing the ring and worm gear first? The manual says to remove worm to get the ring gear out but I only want to replace the seal and not pull all of it if I do not need to.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Your thoughts??
Thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short answer: NO...
That particular seal goes into the drum, not the housing. So you want to remove the drum - not the gear case.

Stand the whole winch upright, gear case facing down. Then undo 5 bolts and 1 nut; pull up the clutch side end housing and clutch-related parts; then the keys, then the drum. Everything else remains assembled.

ballencd

Arghhh!

Short answer: NO...
That particular seal goes into the drum, not the housing. So you want to remove the drum - not the gear case.

Stand the whole winch upright, gear case facing down. Then undo 5 bolts and 1 nut; pull up the clutch side end housing and clutch-related parts; then the keys, then the drum. Everything else remains assembled.
Gringeltaube,
Thanks for the instructions. I should have caught that and have had the non-gear end apart several times when installing the seals and the actuator shaft. I will do it one more time. I have been working on this for several months as you know and never have more then a few minutes at a time to spend on it. I have three kids in school and spend all my "spare" time taxiing them back and forth to school, piano, soccer and band. I probably should have taken the entire thing to parade rest at the beginning but have been hesitant to do that since there is a full drum of cable on the drum and I'm not as strong as I once was. Its quite heavy.
Thanks again for all your help. Charlie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks