• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield rubber m1031

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just had a new rubber and windshield put in has anybody seen this style before?
Yes Sir. T-Lock

1715874329677.png

And this is one version (below) of the Trim Lok tool to install the rubber sealing part into the gasket that runs around your window or windshield

1715874510675.png

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about ready to get a new rubber, I was gonna do the whole job myself with the Lyle 48600 lock strip tool
( Curved handle) this just looks weird I don't understand. So you're saying it's supposed to have that flying wing hanging out like that?

the Lyle 48600

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm about ready to get a new rubber, I was gonna do the whole job myself with the Lyle 48600 lock strip tool
( Curved handle) this just looks weird I don't understand. So you're saying it's supposed to have that flying wing hanging out like that?

the Lyle 48600

No sir... Not that I have ever seen.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just had a new rubber and windshield put in has anybody seen this style before?
Just did one a few weeks ago in my sons 1009...that lip tucks into itself. I used a fat pick since that tool doesn't work for those...used glass cleaner as a lube then went around with the pick and it tucked in easy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's kind of what I thought, that's crazy because this professional installer said oh no that's to deflect the water away, he cut in the standard lock strip into the opening.
I just ordered a new gasket lock strip from summit precision brand.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's kind of what I thought, that's crazy because this professional installer said oh no that's to deflect the water away, he cut in the standard lock strip into the opening.
I just ordered a new gasket lock strip from summit precision brand.

Yup that locking ring isn't used it folds in itself. Not hard to do. This is his....we're painting it now or I'd take a full pic.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that's what I thought when it first came in that's what I told the installer , but he insisted He said no. so I went and ordered the correct gasket for the lock strip to do it the way it was done originally.
I know the tuckover style is an option, but I want to tell this guy you know read up on your literature and know what you're doing.
Maybe he'll learn but most likely not.
Your son's trunk is in primer or you're painting it that kind of bronze color

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that's what I thought when it first came in that's what I told the installer , but he insisted He said no. so I went and ordered the correct gasket for the lock strip to do it the way it was done originally.
I know the tuckover style is an option, but I want to tell this guy you know read up on your literature and know what you're doing.
Maybe he'll learn but most likely not.
Your son's trunk is in primer or you're painting it that kind of bronze color

It's in primer now gonna do green n brown paint...found a guy that had nsn paint. It's old but should work fine.
Good luck with the window!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't used that yet but will on the next one. I've heard it works good.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's in primer now gonna do green n brown paint...found a guy that had nsn paint. It's old but should work fine.
Good luck with the window!

That truck looks nice and straight mine's rough, a worker.
Started life m1031, grew up to m1028a1 putting flat bed on it, small maintenance crane

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck looks nice and straight mine's rough, a worker.
Started life m1031, grew up to m1028a1 putting flat bed on it, small maintenance crane

Sons spent months getting it straight. Gonna paint Sunday if the weather is good! He wants to take the top off and drive it to graduation.

nyoffroad

Sons spent months getting it straight. Gonna paint Sunday if the weather is good! He wants to take the top off and drive it to graduation.

Shake those can real good! There's going to be a LOT of solids on the bottom, I'd open and pour a bit off, then use a metal stir stick to break up the solids then shake, shake and shake some more, then add back what was poured off and stir. Using old paint can really suck if you don't have a paint shaker!
On another note, be prepared to buy new top seals if he removes the top . There also will be a color difference.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shake those can real good! There's going to be a LOT of solids on the bottom, I'd open and pour a bit off, then use a metal stir stick to break up the solids then shake, shake and shake some more, then add back what was poured off and stir. Using old paint can really suck if you don't have a paint shaker!
On another note, be prepared to buy new top seals if he removes the top . There also will be a color difference.
I poured 2 cans in a 5 gallon bucket and mixed them up in that. Needed a plastic scraper to get it out of the can.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack post or stray off topic from OP but;

From the looks of those rusty/old cans I would re-think using that free paint.
All that hard work and time your son put in to his ride can be ruined by batch of bad paint.
It may look ok at first but it could start peeling off in short time once exposed to the elements.
Why I say this is because it happened to me.
IMHO you should spend an extra $100.00 and buy some fresh paint.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Paint doesn't peel because it's old, that was another issue.
I don't know just how old that paint but it may be some old lead based, don't let that bother you! Lead paint covers and lasts great! Just make sure you use a good respirator and have good airflow. Are you using any activator with it or just air dry? Air dry is slow, real slooooow, but flows nice. Activated paint hardens rather than dries and would be shiny not flat unless a flattening agent is added. (more $$$)
All this may be moot as it might be all sprayed by now.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint doesn't peel because it's old, that was another issue.
I don't know just how old that paint but it may be some old lead based, don't let that bother you! Lead paint covers and lasts great! Just make sure you use a good respirator and have good airflow. Are you using any activator with it or just air dry? Air dry is slow, real slooooow, but flows nice. Activated paint hardens rather than dries and would be shiny not flat unless a flattening agent is added. (more $$$)
All this may be moot as it might be all sprayed by now.
It's an Alkyd based...we did it outside in the morning with the nice wet grass and no bugs!! I thinned it a touch with acetone but that was it. It did take a while to dry for sure but that's ok. Was barely 60 out maybe 70 tops and low humidity. The paint was dated from 2001! It really did mix very easy in the bucket with a touch of a spinner on the drill.