• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter storage ,keep the critters out of the cab.

Ford Mechanic

The mouse problem can be solved by another 4 legged problem. It's called CAT. They can be highly effective, and are guaranteed to ignore you until they get hungry, cold or bored!
CAT translates to chew toy at my house.rofl
We have 3 blue heelers and they are fair mousers, ever see a dog set a mouse trap? We used to holler at them to stop digging small holes inside the horse barn until I watched them one day catch one that way. They dig a small hole about 3-5 ft from the mouses hole and then lay down a little way's away from the other side of the mouse hole. As soon as he comes out and get's far enough away they run it into the hole they dug and that's it, end of mousie.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
xzlxvx!!! Mice

Look at what the mice have done to my new M35A2 drivers seat bottom! I don't know what to do. Keep a cat locked in the cab? I've tried everything including mouse traps, mothballs, peppermint oil, Irish Spring soap, 5-gallon pail of water with board (walk the plank), rat poison, and more. This is the 3rd seat in my deuces that has been chewed up and ruined. I live deep in the woods and the field mice are numerous. There has got to be something that will work. Does anyone have any new ideas?

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at what the mice have done to my new M35A2 drivers seat bottom! I don't know what to do. Keep a cat locked in the cab? I've tried everything including mouse traps, mothballs, peppermint oil, Irish Spring soap, 5-gallon pail of water with board (walk the plank), rat poison, and more. This is the 3rd seat in my deuces that has been chewed up and ruined. I live deep in the woods and the field mice are numerous. There has got to be something that will work. Does anyone have any new ideas?
Hmmm.
A picture is worth a thousand words.... And judging by the location on the seat at which this damage occurred, are you sure it was "mice" or might it have a more gaseous origin???? Just sayin'.....

:shock::doh:rofl:whistle:

I dunno if I'd want to change the smell of the cab in my deuce. Call me crazy but I like that "deuce smell", combination of diesel fuel and exhaust, and weathered canvas with a hint of mildew. I remember that scent well from when I was a kid playing in the deuces behind the National Guard armory down the street from the house I grew up in, all the deuces and jeeps had that smell inside and that scent brings back fond childhood memories. Yeah I know, nuts right? My truck sat for several years with no roof or top on the cab and barely had that scent when I recovered the truck. After I got the hard top from SMOKEWAGON66 and got it on the cab, the smell came back. I'm glad cuz I dunno how I would have brought it back if it was completely gone.
:cookoo:

Amer-team

One of my friends has a daschund and it plays heck with the mice and moles. Fortunately once I put the neighbors cat in the cab for a couple nights, that took care of the problem, but I live in town and there are quite a few cats in the neighborhood. Good luck on this problem.

I have several classic cars in storage and for the winter I place a couple of open boxes of Irish Spring soap in the floor boards. I also will use rat poison blocks in and around the garage where larger animals can't get to. So far so good.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have several classic cars in storage and for the winter I place a couple of open boxes of Irish Spring soap in the floor boards. I also will use rat poison blocks in and around the garage where larger animals can't get to. So far so good.
I've tried the Irish Spring soap and it didn't work for me. Perhaps the difference is that your cars are in storage and my deuce is sitting out in the open surrounded by forest. I never see any evidence of next building, only destruction from chewing. I believe they enter the deuce, chew my seat and other things and then take their booty out of the truck and back to their nest.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I put 2 bars of Irish Spring in the cab of my XM818 last winter and in 3 weeks they had eaten it all up and made a nest out of the boxes!2cents

dezert ratt

peppermint oil is still working wonders for me. everytime i park the truck, i open the cap and set the bottle on the floorboard as im getting out to open the air tank drain. EASY

3rdmdqm

Peppermint oil worked for me also. Kept mice and bugs out of the cab for years. I open two bottles, one on each floor board and hadn't had any problems until this fall. Now had mice in the driver underseat box storage area peeing all over the place and making nests. Pulled 4 new born pinkies out. I have now dumped a box of moth balls in the under seat storage box and have two new open bottles of peppermint oil on the floor boards. Hopefully the mothball fumes miixing with peppermint oil fumes doesn't cause an explosion. If it does, maybe it will take a couple of those suckers out. :D

DieselBob

I have been using peppermint oil also with good results. Looks like I need to keep a close eye out this year.
I have now dumped a box of moth balls in the under seat storage box and have two new open bottles of peppermint oil on the floor boards. Hopefully the mothball fumes miixing with peppermint oil fumes doesn't cause an explosion. If it does, maybe it will take a couple of those suckers out. :D
Now that will make your eyes water....

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great tips, but what about wasps? I can't keep them away. I've tried the store bought wasp traps, the homemade types with soda bottles, etc. I tried multiple deterrent sprays. The only thing that works is hitting them directly with wasp killing spray. Of course that only works if you can locate the nests. I took out at least 5 nests on my 5 ton and they're still lingering. What works as a deterrent!?

DieselBob

Can't help on the wasp problem. I wish I could keep them out of my attic. They seem to love it there and everything commercial I have tried hasn't worked worth a darn.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peppermint oil works great as long as you get good quality peppermint oil. My last bar of Irish Spring soap got eaten by the mice. At first I thought it worked, but not after they started eating it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks