• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wiring question -deuce noob

colomil

I am putting a cannibalized m35a2 back together and I need info on the electrical system. The main on/off switch was working fine then a wire under the dash touched ground and now everything is dead. I have looked at schematics on tpub.com and I dont see any fuses or anything between the + terminal of the battery and the on/off switch that acts like a fuse.

So what blows out when there is a short in the system?

YankeeDuece

Under the dash near the steering column is a spider conection. Check to see if all connections are secure. One lead goes to the horn breaker mounted to the fire wall in the engine bay and then on to the battery side of the starter relay.

On my deuce the spider connection was nothing more then a ball of electrical tape with a bald spot. I know this because during a ride the the cab filled with smoke. So after the cab cleared I broke the weld off of the cab-side firewall, retaped, and all electrical was restored.

Good luck!

colomil

Thanks for the advice. I will look for the spider connection. I am amazed that these trucks do not have a fuse block or some other way to prevent a wiring meltdown!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are in fact circuit breakers protecting most of the wiring. Usually not shown is the CB within the 3-lever light switch, which is a 20 amp breaker.
The starting system is not protected, but under operator control .
The CBs are mounted on the firewall on the engine side near the steering column. The fuel pump in the fuel tank has its own little fuse also true for add-on systems like the fuel burning heater, radio systems etc...