• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Light Bar

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could someone provide a link to Austin Aviation on Ebay or his correct use name there, I can't find him on Ebay. TIA

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had made up some individual lights for towing my other deuce home, but I had problems with keeping everything where I wanted it. This looks much easier, and self contained. Would someone be willing to take some measurement of the bar, so that I can copy it? What are the dimensions of the square steel(?) tubing? Also the dimensions of the two U with the rubber pads? What do the U things do, and how does this all mount on say a deuce? Any pics of it mounted? Also how long is the wire that comes for this setup? I am planning to use a trailer front wiring harness, and then regualar trailer wire.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethan:
Did you get your dimensions? If not I can access my bar in storage if you still need them, It's a 12 volt bar but it should be identical to a 24 volt.
James G.

jwaller

I just scored a light bar and I need the cable. does anybody have a lead on them. or can somebody tell me how long it's supposed to be so I can take a 105 harness and make my own.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i made my own cable useing a 105 harness and 7 wire trailer cable from napa, make it what ever length you want, to long is better then to short

jwaller

73m819 said:
i made my own cable useing a 105 harness and 7 wire trailer cable from napa, make it what ever length you want, to long is better then to short
how did you tie it into the bar itself? did you remove the std connector on the bar end and use the napa one?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a partial light bar from Sermis.
It came with only one of the three marker lamps.

I found these twin bulb 12V lights in at Lowe’s.
The two 12V lamps are in parallel
If you pop the lens, you can cut the cheapo factory connections (red marker lines on first image), bend it out of the way and solder in the wires in different places to give you two 12V lamps in series.

Voila! You have a 24V marker lamp.
I think they were $3-4 rather than $20+ new Mil. Part.

I too used an old m105 trailer connector and then used some 8 pin MS connectors I had in my junk bin to make the bar connector termination.

A bit of green paint and it looks pretty good.

Had to get some more milage out of that last pix, but it shows the lightbar in use.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

I dont have a light bar for my wrecker but I do have the cable. I also have 2 light set up's for towing artillary. They clamp around the end of the barrel.

emr

The guy in vermont who will make up cables wants me to send him mine , then he will copy it, i said yes, but cant seem to let go of it when i pic it up to put it in the box.....oh well ill try again, ....later...Randy

tcody

emr - If you end up sending your cable to him I would like a copy or send me a PM. I have been able to source the connectors but not the wire or a wiring diagram.
Regards,
Thane

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i spliced packard connectors in place of the plug on the light bar, made Ys where needed