• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrong starter 12v as opposed to 24v question

llong66

Hello all! I among other things have been dealing with starter issues since Dec. I finally gave in an took my M1008 to the stealership to try and resolve the problem.
I got to looking over an invoice from another time time I had taken it up there and when it was there I had them put a new starter on since they were working on it anyway. When checking out part number, I discovered they had put a 12V rather than the correct 24V unit on. I had read, I think here on anther thread, that a 12v starter will work for a while, ultimately failing with bad results.I think this could have been the reason behind the issues I have been dealing with in the first place.
My question is, would a 12V starter hold out for 16 months and 12k-15k miles before failing? I know that may be an almost impossible question to answer, to me it seems like an awfully long time, but it IS the wrong starter without a doubt. I was wondering what anyone elses thoughts were as I am going to go get my truck Mon. and I think they at the VERY LEAST owe me for the wrong starter. I seriously doubt Ill even get that and anything else just wont happen, I know how they are. I do have proof, the invoice from the original work with the 12V starter part number.
So, does anyone think a 12V starter could last that long in one of our trucks?

Thanks,
Greg

trooper632

Yes same thing happened to me, mechanic ordered a 24 volt starter from NAPA, it came in and he put in on, 13 months later the starter went out, I took it out and called mechanic, told him the starter was bad I thought. He said to call Napa, I did and they said it was out of warranty one month but they would honor it. I gave had my girlfriend drop it off as I was going to be gone, and she picked up the new one. When I went to put it in it said 12v, I called and they said it was the same as was brought in. Long story short, They gave the mechanic the wrong one, and he didn't notice when he put it on, The mechanic found a new one from a different vender and swapped it out and ate the 100.00 difference. I was surprised it lasted that long

sandcobra164

I got my starter rebuilt for about $40 bucks at a local starter / generator shop. I had busted the solenoid away from the nose cone somehow. I don't think my response will help the OP but to anybody else who has a starter problem on a CUCV, please try to get the original repaired by a competent person because people at the parts counter don't always know what they are selling. I'll admit that Napa is one of the better stores to get parts from but if you know what you need ahead of time, you can save some money at some of the others.

machinist75

A buddy of mine puts 12 volt autozone starters in his hmmwv. They have lifetime warranties on them and he just swaps them out every couple of years. Spins faster, just don't stay on it too long.

ReubenJames

Had the same issue and here were the results.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?102910-Guess-I-know-why-it-won-t-start

After monkeying with it I decided just to covert it to 12 volts (Roscoe Common) due to cost and local availability of parts. Really didn't want to but it seems to be working out fine with the addition of the block heater and battery tender for cold weather starting (both of which I had). I still can covert it back if decide to plus I gained an extra alternator. I'm not sure how long the PO had the 12 volt starter on in but it was probably at least three year but the vehicle was not used daily. Good Luck from a fellow Hoosier.

marand9199

To answer your question, it depends on how many times you use it. You could have thousands of miles and only use the starter 20 times or, maybe you started your vehicle hundreds of times. I purchased my M1009 from a private party who put a 12V starter in and it lasted a little over a year after I got it before she gave out. I didn't find out until I was bleeding the injector lines and the starter failed. When I pulled it out I found out it was 12V. I now have a 24V and she fires right up on one crank. (I think the new IP also helps with that)
Hope that answers your question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks