• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Hero Reunites with Long Lost C-47

BrianMoreland

My grandfather Dawson "Hank" Moreland was a WWII pilot who flew the Snafu Special, and dropped paratroopers over France. The C-47 had been lost for several decades until it was recently found in Bosnia and then returned to a museum in Normandy. Last June, I got to go over to Normandy with my 90-year-old grandfather to see his airplane. His was given a grand welcome. I shot video and produced it into a short documentary called RETURN TO NORMANDY. You can read my grandfather's amazing story and watch the video for free at
http://brianmoreland.blogspot.com/2008/08/war-hero-returns-to-normandy.html

Brian Moreland, author of the WII thriller SHADOWS IN THE MIST

www.BrianMoreland.com

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Was this C47 actually in Bosnia or was it at Zagreb Airport? I remember seeing one in Zagreb and always wondered about it but never had the time to check it out.

I think I have pictures of it from across the tarmac somewhere.

diseased

I always am glad to see/hear the story of those who have come before us and allowed us to be able to live as we can today. My hat is off, I have nothing but gratitude. Beautiful!

BrianMoreland

I never got the name of the airport. But I did meet the French team who went to Bosnia, disasembled the plane and brought it over to Merville, Normandy. I have pictures of them at my blog which is linked in the opening post.

randyw69

Very cool! It makes all the history come to life & realize that things that happened in the past are more than just stories!
I thank him for his service!