• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Convoy Truck

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heat and A/C for the back will be a roof mounted RV type unit. The back of the vehicle was gutted to make room for a new interior with beds, sink, shower etc. Things might be a bit tight, but we will make it work. I have a 12VDC to 120 VAC inverter to run it while we are traveling. At night we could use shore power or a generator is needed.

The cab will use the Vintage air heat and A/C. The bottom of the cab has been coated with the Lizard skin spray on ceramic insulation, the interior floor has 2 layers of insulation as well. So this should keep the cab warm or cool.

ballencd

I'm not familiar with the Vintage Air kits. I have heard of them but wonder how well they fit and how hard they are to put in. What specific kit are you using? Are you going to use the factory compressor from the ambulance system or replace it? I am thinking a roof top heat pump for the back and separate cab A/C also. Have you started on the A/C install yet? Pictures of the firewall stuff would be great to see if you have them. Below is picture as of yesterday afternoon. IT took awhile to get the first bench out.
I've never been to State College but have two nieces that went to school there!

1716133590030.png

ballencd

Antennaclimber, Did you have trouble getting the passenger box out of the back of your M1010? I think I have all the rivets drilled out including the 4 holding the heater exhaust flange under the box. The one in the rear corner behind the control panel/vent panel was tricky to find. Seems there is glue under the heater base which I have separated. The heater base is still hung on the duct heading up to the input vent. Do I need to disconnect the duct under the seat headed forward.....looks like there are a few screws under that. I will get it out but would like to not damage the bench as I want to channel it and re-use it but narrower. The heater is coming out for sure. I can't foresee a scenario where I need 30K btu/hour ever.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting the passenger side out was very difficult. Much harder than the driver side. I decided that it was not going back in....Eventually with a sawzall, cutting wheels, battery recharging, BFH, hydraulic jack, pry bar and a few four letter words, I got it removed! Every time I thought I had all the rivets drilled out....more would show up. The heater was removed as well, not as bad as the passenger side bench.

I wish I had better advice for you, but it's difficult to get that side out intact.

Fab crew is making some progress with the inside. Test fitting items inside to see how this will work out. Still have a long way to go!

Attachments

Last edited:

ballencd

I got it. Thanks for the reply. I did eventually find several more rivets that I had missed and then it came out fairly easily. I think if I had found all the rivets to start with it would have been easier then the left one. A few of the screws under the duct were very difficult to get out and I eventually had to cut them. Yours looks like you are making progress. What are you going to use the box over the cab for? That's a good spot for the Gen Set. I wish they had put that hole in the box up at the front corner though. I think I'd like a bit more floor space in the back of the box. I'm thinking smaller heater and batteries in that spot but not there yet.

1716234656872.png