• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

solar panels - bat charging

ericp351

Hi all. My 5 ton A2 was USAF, had 2 cowl solar panels- about 5 1/2" X 4 1/2"each . Would like to change them- low volt output now. Were they a local- base thing, or a regular part that may be available surplus? Bought truck at local auction, so no history. I bought aftermarket "inverter" to charge bats, need input now. Any part source or input would be appreciated. Do not want to cut up cowl metal more.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one on ebay for too many $. Search Solargizer. I have a NOS one I might let go, will have to see if I can find it. IIRC I checked the open current voltage of these tiny panels new, and it was minuscule. I will try to remember to post up a voltage number for you if I find it. I think the module boosts and pulses power, but IIRC at a level with my digital multi-meter, could not measure/detect on the battery side of the module.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your dead set on those solargizer panels, post an ad in the parts wanted section, and install the complete unit, but know these little ones are meant to help maintain the battery level, not charge or keep up with any parasitic draws. With an aftermarket controller I think these little panels will be worthless, even with a quality voltage boost converter capable of getting them above 24v. The booster and your controller will consume more power than these panels are capable of. I always beat around the idea of mounting a large panel above the rag top. Then I would have the capability to charge, or produce a surplus of power in a short period of time.

ericp351

Thanks for replies.

I checked, and both combined do not put out over 14V before converter thing on a bright day, so I pulled my fuse so as not to be a drain. If they are a gimmick, I'll just forget it. I thought they may be a good idea as batteries are now pricy. Good to get insight on what works and what don't!

If your dead set on those solargizer panels, post an ad in the parts wanted section, and install the complete unit, but know these little ones are meant to help maintain the battery level, not charge or keep up with any parasitic draws. With an aftermarket controller I think these little panels will be worthless, even with a quality voltage boost converter capable of getting them above 24v. The booster and your controller will consume more power than these panels are capable of. I always beat around the idea of mounting a large panel above the rag top. Then I would have the capability to charge, or produce a surplus of power in a short period of time.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds about right I had 5-6 volts in my mind.
I don’t think they are a gimmick, the military just never used them properly, and don’t apply to most civilian usage. I’m think the bigger, more powerful version makes better sense for 90% of applications.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_8474.jpg
Open current voltage 4.4 of just the solar panel.
IMG_8478.jpg
Open current voltage 52.2 at the battery ring terminals on the output side of the solargizer.

ericp351

Very cool! Glad I did not toss my Panels. I tried mine with an aftermarket "box" as my truck came with 2 panels and no "box-brains". Didn't work. Think I just need to now find a good OEM "box" or 2. Thanks.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As small as these panels are, you could probably just throw an adjustable voltage boost converter on it, and not even worry about a charge controller. Somebody can probably tell us how many watts they are just by going off the panel size?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Solargizer unit on my 5 ton and absolutely love it. I've been a dipstick before and left my backup camera and Bluetooth speaker on and drained the batteries while remote camping.

A couple hours in the sun (I didn't hard mount the panel, it is stowed and I added connectors to the wires) and she fired up with no issue.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Solargizer unit on my 5 ton and absolutely love it. I've been a dipstick before and left my backup camera and Bluetooth speaker on and drained the batteries while remote camping.

A couple hours in the sun (I didn't hard mount the panel, it is stowed and I added connectors to the wires) and she fired up with no issue.
Is yours the little 4x5” panel? In my opinion thats one mistake the military made was mounting them on the cowl. Unless they always park their trucks facing south?

ericp351

Thanks again guys. I failed to consider the BOOST controller thing. Think I bought a 12/24V "Charge controller " instead, and assumed it needs a feed over 24 (26??) volts. Will look for the thin "hand book". New to "solar" and "solar terminology".

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks again guys. I failed to consider the BOOST controller thing. Think I bought a 12/24V "Charge controller " instead, and assumed it needs a feed over 24 (26??) volts. Will look for the thin "hand book". New to "solar" and "solar terminology".
If you use your truck for camping, I highly recommend looking into solar lights.

20220408_195801.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_8495.png
This is what I use between my 175w 12v panel mounted on my barn, and a cheap 24v charge controller that maintains the four 4D batteries in my truck and loader while they are slaved together over the winter. Unfortunately your input voltage is way too low for this converter.

You would need something along these line to get the voltage gain you need. IMG_8496.png
And being a tiny module, will not be as simple to work with.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And all converters/controllers/regulators, consume power themselves. So, stacking two of them is probably going to make these tiny panels ineffective…

ericp351

Lot of good info here. PLAN- Have 9 Volts now out of 2 panels, in series-part sun day. Ordered # Xh-m411 Dc-Dc adjustable booster. Will try to set it at 29-30 V to feed my 12V-24V "controller" I have- attached at 24 V via an inline fuse. Don't expect to "light Manhatten", but may get a solid amp to get some life out of my older Mil Spec batts.