• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

? about a mount I saw in a CUCV

IRWFO

When I was at Red Ball last week there were two M1009's in the parking lot with a radio mount I haven't seen before. It was bolted to the right side of the dash plate, came up straight to what looked like a ball mount then to a small shelf. Anyone have any idea what I'm describing? Thanks

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a Trimble PSN-10 GPS.. Was the first "real" GPS that was issued for Desert Storm... Then it was replaced with the PSN-11, which is now being replaced by the PSN-13 DAGR

ida34

I had one for my battery or company size unit during desert storm. Very high tech for the time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are any of this being surplussed? Not that I can afford one, I'd still like to have one. Any idea if they were mounted in deuces?
Thanks

Dieselsmoke

I see the mounts at the MV shows quite often, and most people have no idea what they are so they sell them cheap. My GPS unit I got pretty cheap, the guy didn't think it worked.

Wile E. Coyote

They show up very rarely, but when they do they're on Ebay. I've never seen one offered for sale on any of the collector/ MV forums ever. I got mine at one of the MVPA conventions a few years ago and have only seen one other since - on Ebay.

(seller 'beltfed34' - Austin Aviation - had the last one I saw, but has nothing listed now. Worth keeping an eye on him as he gets a lot of stuff nobody else does...including all the stuff I needed to mount my demilled EPLRS in the HMMWV!)

Last edited:

HOWEY

Fed up waiting so made my own...

Well i got my Trimble SLGR gps which works 100% so im well pleased.

Could not find a genuine military mount on the net so decided to fab one out of a civilian mount and paint it green, paired it up with a heavy duty ram mount.

An old handset donated itself for my power cable, the plug socket U-229/U wired as so..... ( Pin D+ Pin B- ).

I think it turned out well, looking forward to the weekend to installing it. :jumpin:

Attachments

papakb

Trimble Trimpack

Trimble introduced the Trimpack and the Transpack at the same time in the early '90s. The military bought the green Trimpack and designated it the AN/PSN-10. The black Transpacks were the same unit minus the P code offset correction capability. This lessened the accuracy slightly for non-military applications. This has fallen by the wayside due to the accuracy of differential GPS technology. I've had multiple mil-GPS units and think the PSN-10 was always the best looking by far. It doesn't have sexy moving map or color capability but it looks great in a vehicle. I had mine mounted in the HMMWV for years and only went away from it when I installed a computer system and needed the space on the radio rack.

I have a complete working Transpack unit in it's field case for sale if your interested. It comes with the GPS, the mount, a couple of battery boxes, and some battery adapters that allow you to run the unit from a 12v cigarette lighter recepticle. I'd like to get $150 for the package.

Please PM if interested.

Kurt Lesser
KG6KMJ

Wile E. Coyote

Actually the AN/PSN-10 SLGR is an L1 only machine that doesn't use P-code at all as there's no provision for Fill. While there are two connectors for U-229 plugs on the side -- the first is power, and the second is DATA OUT available in either Trimpack or Transpack format. That's the reason they turned off Selective Availability ('SA') for the First Gulf War as while they had a number of P-code machines out there - they didn't have nearly enough - hence the need to purchase a few thousand of the no-code, largely civvy machines - and turn the SA off to keep both military machines and civvy machines at nominally the same accuracy.

The next generation of the military 'green' SLGR/Trimpack/Transpack family was the AN/ASN-169 SAGR (also called the Centurion) which were made both as new production and rebuilt older AN/PSN-10s returned by the Gov to Trimble for upgrade which came back with L1/L2 and P Code capability (though L1 only on the internal antenna.)

Uncle finds it a bit hard to keep straight too as even the no-code, no-fill, civvy-trimpack-in-a-green case SLGR gets Demil coded the same as the Centurion even though it contains no CCI at all. :roll:

Wile E. Coyote

Hey you mentioned 'computer system' in your HMMWV. Did you get one of the DRS Technologies RVS-330/ JV-5 FBCB2 setups that seem to have been released? I made one up using a CARC-painted Litton L3 police car computer and touchscreen and mounted it all to an FBCB2 rack from Austin, complete with FBCB2 display graphics on a screensaver loop. Looks really good all CARC-painted with some extra cables and boxes added where appropriate to mimic the FBCB2 setups I've come across.

Since the L3 display is touchscreen out of the box, I'll make up a program to simulate the FBCB2 main screen functionality for fun :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks