• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air brake can and release of spring brakes

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
As most of us know the spring brake on a truck or in this case a trailer have very strong springs under compression in the can. These must be caged to work on the brake and when caged the brake should release. I am working on trying to move a trailer out of GL and I could not get either of the rear wheels to move even when caged. They are the older style without a slack adjuster any suggestions because the trailer needs to be moved next Thursday

Attachments

Scrounger

If it has S Cams, the shaft going to the brakes may be rusted in place. You may try pulling the pins on the adjustment yokes and spraying some penetrating oil on the S Cam shaft and as already mentioned beating the drums with a very large hammer. If that fails you may have to pull the drums.

NEIOWA

I had the same problem dragging an M1022 home. Except I was an hour down the road/2hr from home in a little town pop 234 and decided the left side brake was dragging (wheel/drum too hot). "I'll just tighten that bugger down some more". Yeah good idea as the cam rod snaps in 1/2 down inside the can. Brake now fully applied.

Luckily a truck service w/roadside an hour away was still open at 4:45 and he got things freed up and on the road in 15 min.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the advice I will be trying to get it moved on Thursday, I would have taken pictures of the brake but it is in the secure area at Aberdeen you are not allowed to take in any phone or camera. These brakes are a small spring can with another smaller can attached between the spring and the wheel. This is mounte at an angle going into the hub and I saw no adjustment device anywhere. There are some removable oval access slots but they are only about an inch long and 1/2 wide. I would have taken the M 127 up but I don't have any where to off load this from the trailer. This is the only dolly I have ever seen with 5 ton wheels and 1100 20 tires anyone else ever see one off them and know what container they were used for

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would have taken the M 127 up but I don't have any where to off load this from the trailer.

Looks like it's time for somebody to buy an M62, M543 or M816 8)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is my third dolly the papa bear of all of them and I want to get it home to use the good 1100 20's on the M 52 I am going to take a quart of PB Blaster and a 12 pound sledge to break them free and get the dolly home. I bought all of them for a song and just for the tires but this one is going to be cut up and made into an A frame for picking up logs to take to the sawyer. I am thinking about keeping the small one like you have pictured for picking up a container at one of the GL auctions coming up. Got to get to work I guess and hope that the PB and BFH work their magic. Yeah Clint I know I need a wrecker but I have to make a few more bucks first. I just need to sell one invention and it should do it.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Joseph and all the thing is I am geographicly handicapped and structurally ingenious so the cheap and I do mean cheap dolly will take on the form of a heavy duty lifting device on the back of my M 969. I look at it as a symbiosis and the memory of the dolly will be there in the rubber on the truck and the back I save lifting with the A frame. This will make the best use of all the items I can think of using and I would label it transformation rather than destruction. Look in my album an see all the trucks in Kuwait that the DRMS folks paid to have cut into chunks of steel to sell as scrap now that is destruction and it made me cry when I saw them cut up trucks in better shape than mine.

Hookin1

It has wedge brakes on it...the chamber pushed the shaft into the drum...the end is wedged like a chisel so it pushes the shoes apart...usually the shaft freezes up inside the tube....if it will you can take the airlines off of the chamber and unsrew the chamber and the shaft off of the drum.....does'nt always work though......wedge brakes work good when maintained but when stuck they can be a pita...

papercu

dolly

With those type arms it looks as if it is a Dolly Set, Lift, Transportable Shelter, 7 1/2, M1022 (NSN 2330-01-167-7262) and it should move those 20 and 40 foot containers that you see being hauled by semi trucks. It might be a very sellable item. ( or buy a couple of used containers and rent them out by the month).
The M1022 dolly set has a mechanical parking brake (1) on the rear dolly (2).
Hand activated lever to control mechanized spring brakes (parking brake) on rear dolly wheels.

The TM is 9-2330-379-14&P

From the TM:

The dolly set consists of one front dolly for attaching to the International Standards Organization (ISO) shelter front and one rear dolly for attaching to the ISO shelter rear.
The dolly set can operate with either a 12- or 24-volt direct current (VDC) electrical system power supply.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Picked it up today thanks for the advice

Wow the big 12 pound hammer did the trick although it took many blows to each wheel they did free up. When I first started towing it I could only do 25 before it started violently shaking like an old CJ front end when worn. I stopped at the first place I could get air and inflated the airbags and man what a difference 55 and just a little dolly wiggle down the highway. Now I have to see if the hydraulics are any good the cylinders look shiny and the pump handles work as well as the shut offs so I will see what will be done with this dolly. The towbar was missing so the picture shows my mcgyver rig.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks