• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saving favorite threads

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know about the "stickies", but how about a file where we can save favorite threads, that may be of personal use? I'm starting one on my dektop, but that means copying/pasting and they'd be lost if my puter crashed. :(

I'm sure you don't have anything else to do Mike, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :twisted:

Blythewoodjoe

I keep a folder next to the "steelsoldiers" web link on my desk top and every time I run across one I want to follow I just right click on the page, hit create short cut, and then when I am done surfing I just drag it or the many to the folder. I had not thought about crashing for a while, I have a decent computer now (or I did until I wrote that) but I do back up everything on my jump drive and I guess I will be backing up that folder now too.

Joe Trapp

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a menu box that you can do this with. It involves converting to HTML which I know nothing about. Mike sent me a copy of HTML and I use that as a guide when entering items. You can enter anything there too. As an example, I entered the link to where I sign into my mailbox at bellsouth. One click right from SteSol and I'm there. It's not as easy as a simple save button but it goes right there and you can select the name for them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
At the top of the screen, there is a button called "watched topics". I think it notifies you of a thread when a reply has been posted, but I think it is possible to go to a ist of your watched topics and find the one you need. I have never tried it.

alphadeltaromeo

The "watched topics" I've never looked at but just did now. This could solve the problem quite well. Another option is to use notepad, Word or something similar and copy the web addy for the particular thread you'd like to save:

Example - This includes a description of the topic at the end as well.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=104438 (Saving favorite thread)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=104438(What is this generator motor)

You can then email the file to hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc. so that you'll always have a copy of it. If updates are needed, just re-email the updated file. You could also eliminate the need for a Word file or similar by just creating an email on one of those online email services and just forward the email back to yourself with the updated files you'd like to recall. You'll always have that email to refer to.

With all that said, though, the "watched topics" seems to accomplish the task just fine too.

mangus580

The nice thing about the 'watched topics' is, normally anything you post in, gets put there (you can 'unwatch' later) and when you are watching something, you get emails when a new post is made on that topic. Very useful! This was a feature I added quietly almost 6 months ago...

alphadeltaromeo

It is helpful, as I receive emails about the topics I have commented on. Thanks Mike for the insight to incorporate this great feature...you always have great :idea:'s

littlebob

I like the the feature too. Sometimes I wake up in a new world and its great to have the Email reminder they next day if its something I want to follow
littlebob