• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to check on a Pinz?

citizensoldier

Info on Pinzgauers
Ok the wife wants one!! I am going to start looking at these a little harder. I just want to know what to look for on a used one? What are problem areas on these vehicles? And who, what, and where about parts? Thanks guys.
Any one particular year/model better than other? All the same engine? The darn manuals are in German so maybe a class on that? :roll:

Jones

Since everything on a Pinz is hydraulically operated, I'd look carefully for leaks. Also any boots protecting flexible joints.
This may have changed but when I was playing with them, Steyr was going around to all the surplus auctions in Europe and buying up parts and pieces so they could stay as the sole-source dealer. That kept the price and availability of repair and replacement parts in headache status.
Not trying to discourage you 'cause they're pretty nifty pieces of engineering; just don't want the two happiest days of your life to be the day you buy your Pinz... and the day you sell it.

citizensoldier

Thanks guy.. I appreciate your honesty.. Well thats the type of info I am after.. Are there now more people in the US with parts for these? I spent some time in them in Fl.. Very, very, very capable little units. I did not have time to pick there brains about parts. To much time holding on and having fun.
I look at this way. My wife wants her own OD iron to drive. Up until now she wanted a flat fender M38. They cost as much as a Pinz and in my opinion are half the vehicle. Sorry M38 guys! Its just a fact. Those little Pinz will go more places than my M37 with ease. Hydro lockers front and rear and light weight. Being a air cooled engine do they have over heating problems? I like this fact for the reason you dont have to worry about puting a stick through your radiator out in the bush. Keep it coming guys.. I appreciate it..

citizensoldier

Just wanted to ad.. If you keep momma bear with her own to drive she is happy and then poppa bear is happy.. I am just glad she wants to even have her own and enjoys riding along with me.. A M37 and a deuce are just to much for her little arms to turn without power steering. Those little Pinz are desighned for little people and light enough she can handle them. She is good at shifting but has a hard time seeing over the dash on most M sereies.... She is 1/2 Korean "little people"

devilman96

Ah I see ya got sucked into the other side??? Just what I needed for next year!! LOL

Swiss Army Vehicles is a good company to deal with for parts and they are one of the few around with online shopping that really works. There is one other in GA but the name escapes me for the moment. Just keep in mind that "cheap" and pinz do not go together and they do require a lot of maintenance when it comes to driving them daily. Parts are made for them still but sometimes you end up waiting for several weeks on them and I would AVOID anything that needs sheet metal work as there is no such thing as just popping a new panel in on them!!!

To look for... Unless someone has already done it the braking systems usually need an over haul, nothing unusual about doing it though... Axle boots on these are a SOB to change but last years longer than M35's do. If one has points still in it YANK THEM!!! and even better there is a fuel injection kit coming out soon, which I would personally consider a MUST on the trucks as the fuel system is where the majority of the issues come it to play.

Otherwise... Lots of money in tires... the manuals are in English too... They are hot drivers so 12V and a fan set up might make her much more happy.

citizensoldier

Thanks ol great Mike of the south, cow puncher, fabricating, bad ass..!!
Your to blame! I never even been in one until your Fl get together.. I know they wont be cheap for the unit or parts. But try pricing out parts for a old WWII WC or civi Power Wagon! Hold on to your wallet and your ass.. Even M37 parts are gettting redicalouse. So, that is not to much of a concern. In the past with foreign products I have paid more but recieved 5 times the longevity. Dont get me wrong I love the US stuff and love my country with a passion. Its just when you have had FJ40's that are tuff as nails ,get 300 thousand miles out of a Toyota Celica and a Subaru wagon, it tends to make you think a little. 60 thousand on my GMC and I have replaced half the truck??? But thats another debate and story...
Congrats on your endeavor and will do what I can to keep you in business..
They are 12 or 24 volt? I have a nice 24 volt fan out of a Cat. dozer.. keeps your hair parted..

devilman96

24V... Oddly enough I am working on a over head center console for these with radio mounts... Hope to have units ready by the end of the month!

6x6pinz

Well, where to start. I have heard many complaints about the cost of maintenance of the Pinz. I use one of my two Pinzgauers at least once a day and have driven the 712 (6x6) over 60K miles in three years. I don' think I have spent over $2K in maintenance, repair and upgrades on it. I have however spent a considerable amount on modifications both for comfort and offroad protection. We have several people out here in AZ that drive their pinz as a daily driver and only vehicle. They don't seem to have anymore issues than any other 30 year old vehicle would.
There is a prepurchase checklist available on www.sdp-pinzgauer.org along with a bunch of information. The biggest single issue with the pinz that can get expensive is its unique driveline. There is a simple test that can be done while test driving it. When driving around 80 kilometers engage the four wheel drive locker (green lever). If the vibration in the drive train changes noticeably this could be a sign of expensive repairs needed. As discussed previously, they can be loud at speeds, they do not have very good heat unless the optional gas heater is installed, the brakes work great when adjusted properly (manual adjust), They are for the most part simple vehicles to work on. The cost of parts can get pricey but no more than any modern vehicle. All the parts are available from several dealers and will continue to be so for some time. One thing that some consider a negative is that it is hard to go anywhere without people stopping to ask about the trucks, have not had that with the M37 (sadly enough).
I bought my first pinz as an offroad vehicle and mainly use it as such. I do alot of offroad competitions and get out on the trails at least twice a month. Very durable truck.

devilman96

Chuckles tried his out yesterday for its nose diving ability... Truck 1 Him 0... He walked away with only a scratch after 2 flips.

I will let him explane himself when he gimps back into the forum..

I think I know what I will be doing for the months of June, July August and Sept... *sigh*

Attachments

citizensoldier

Ouch!!! Bing! Bang! Boom! Caploooie! What did he do? Thats the one you sold him isnt it? Looks familiar.. That really sucks , but I am glad he walked away from it. That could have been a pine box day. Did he have his seat belt on?
Pinz6x6... Thank you very much. That is just the type of report I was looking for.. I am now in the market for one and will show this to the better half.. Anyone have one for sale close to Michigan?

6x6pinz

I hope that Chuck is OK, seems most of the injuries are soft tissue and not noticed until the next day. I have heard of several of these higher speed rollovers and in all cases the drivers and front passengers walked away. The worst injuries have been busted ribs from the seat belts. Would be curious to know what caused the accident.

I have not been keeping track of the Pinz trucks for sale on the east side. I would however take the advice previously given and check with Swiss Army Vehicles and Euro Truck importers. Both of these dealers have numerous customers who have had great dealings. The trucks ship very easy and not all that expensive to do so. I think the last one shipped from the West coast to the East coast was around $1100.00 insured. Several owners choose to just go and get them then drive them home. These are amazing trucks with very little use and hold up very well to road travel.

Pinz25086

Lane, I have had my Pinz for over 2 years and have had to replace the muffler, brakes (twice), front crank seal, rear trans seal, wiper bldes, and a fan belt. All of it would be considered normal maint for any vehicle. You rode with me down at Mikes and saw how we like to play submarine commanders. I simply do not see where the Pinz gets its "high maintanence" title. They are very easy to work on and really the parts are not always that bad price wise. It is like anything you have to keep up on it and will not let you down.

There used to be a guy in Benton Harbor that sold some Pinzgauers. Try www.enkal.com. His name is Phil and his web site says that he still has some for sale. Also check on e-bay as there have been at least one every time that I look recently. I bought mine from EuroTruck in GA. Sean is a great guy and more than fair.

I am very happy with the truck that I purchased. There are some great deals on ambulances right now. Cant go wrong with a 6 wheeld pinz and the ambulance box comes off to make a great flat bed!

Wayne

Pinz25086

Glad to be here! I have been lurking in the background reading the old posts since getting onto the board. I was sorry to hear about Chuck. I sent him a PM and hope that he is feeling better.

citizensoldier

Wayne!! Didnt know you were on the board.. Awsome and glad to see you around.. Yes we did some sub work and some cypress stump removal.. heheheh.. Thanks for the info and i will defanetly have questions when I get one. Looking for now while the wife saves her money.. I will have one in the future..
Lane

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oooh, activity in the Pinz forum, sweet! Glad to know Chuck is ok after taking a nose-dive, flip, flip in his Pinz. I hope it's not a total loss. Where'd the wheel end up Mike?

Boelt63A

Hello all,
Thanks for all the thoughts I really appreciate it.

SS, all told, I spent three hours looking for that wheel; as best I can tell it was needed on some celestial battlefield and was commanderred!

As for the Worm it runs fine and it saved my life.
Not many vehicles, let alone a convertable, will loose a wheel at 65-70 MPH, roll three and a half times and land on the remains of the roof and let you walk away to tell the first trooper on the scene that all is well and you're really sorry for the traffic back up!

ALL of the sheet metal above the rub rail is a total loss. Dog box cracked where my thigh hit it during the roll overs. Windshield has one big crack top to bottom but didn't shatter.

Why did it happen?
Pure and Simple; Operator headspace and timing.
Not the fault of the truck. !!

After our adventures in Orlando I trailered the truck to the farm in Lake City, and it sat there until work allowed me to go clean it up. That turned out to be last weekend. I took off all the wheels and brake drums and pressure washed all the mud, dirt, and sand out of them as PM. I pulled two new maloyas out of the barn, had them mounted on the front wheels and put it all back together.
Obviously I didn't torque the front lug nuts enough to sustain me all the way back to Jax.....

I am still trying to figure out what to do with the truck.

Even if it goes away I WILL get another Pinz. I like th 710's size and will probably stick with it as opposed to a 712.

Mike and I have been talking, and I am sure we will come up with some ideas.....

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like there is enough left to be a good mud buggy. Who needs windshields and doors. Whatever is in the way, chop it off and run it. Seriously Chuck, glad you walked away from that one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks