• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel nuts

sermis

When did the nuts change from 6 sided to 5 sided./ I went to dismount a wheel today and spent 10 minutes trying to find a socket until I realized that the nuts were 5 sided. When did thy change or did I just get an odd ball rim?

sermis

Well all 12 are 5 sided. It just came from the military. There was also a different air system. No valve core on the rim and the original system connected to a ? 3/8 air line.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Wheel nuts

sermis said:
I'm talking about the nuts holding the wheel together and not the lug nuts.
??? For the rears? The ones that hold the inner wheel to the hub :?: Got a pic?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Wheel nuts

WillWagner said:
sermis said:
I'm talking about the nuts holding the wheel together and not the lug nuts.
??? For the rears? The ones that hold the inner wheel to the hub :?: Got a pic?
DOH! Didn't notice I was in the HMMWV forum....Ignore the bonehead behind the computer!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm... I haven't seen those before. I bet Clinto is going to like them, though. Their like "Chrysler Nuts"! rofl
Sorry, I'm no help here! :roll:

rmgill

They probably switched them to a 5 sided nut to prevent pvt snuffy undoing those in the field with his tool kit and blowing his head off when the wheel let loose.

Probably a special tool for that. Try some of the tool catalogs online at either McMaster or the like. They ought to have something that'll work on those.

dilvoy

Those were usen on civi Hummers to do just that, keep someone from accidently undoing them and hurting him/herself. I don't know why they were on a wheel that was from the military though. Perhaps that CTIS shield bracket is the reason. There weren't very many Humvees with CITS installed, before the Military decided that it was for the birds. This wheel is possibly from one of the humvees that were used during testing.

BKinzey

I had to go check mine :lol: :lol:

I've got one rim, looking for 4 more 12 bolt rims CHEAP :roll: , all 12 nuts are 6 sided. You can find the 6 sided nuts on eBay for about $1.75 each :shock:

sermis

I have access to used rims off and on. I can scavenge nuts from them. I had never seen one with 5 sided nuts. I picked this one up because the tire looked good. Then noticed a plug in the sidewall.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks