• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripping CARC SS

NEIOWA

A 2500 gal HEMMT refueler tank paint CARC. Need to strip to bare Stainless. This is becoming a Fire Dept water tanker so will not be repainted (if works out). Idea is to clean up and shine it up.

Any bright ideas on the best way to complete? I have a local "volunteer" available who as about 250hrs to contribute to his community. I think a good way to use his time.

No.2Diesel

I would go with chemical stripper because it doesn't require air or electric sources. As for polishing I like to use Autosol from Eastwood. You'll have to buy the biggest tubs of it you can find. The Autosol claims to leave a protective coating to prevent frequent polishing.

M1075

Please keep us posted on the project. I would like to see before and after pics when you are done. What is the tank going on anyway?

NEIOWA

My thought that a blasting media ______ is best method. Chem strippers supposedly don't exist (except perhaps dip) that will work on CARC.

Chassis is a 1991 Ford F900 w/ Marmon 6x6. Surplus from US Navy Coastal boat squadron.
http://www.stanleyiowa.com

rdixiemiller

CARC strips just like any urethane, uses nasty chemicals. If you had a big enough vat, you could dip it in AcraStrip. It is a non-haz cleaner I used to strip paint equipment. needs 140degrees and 50% water to work well. About $25 a gallon, so it would be EXPENSIVE to strip a tank! Aircraft stripper will take it off, but it is expensive, toxic, expensive, nasty to dispose of, oh, did I mention expensive?
Dry ice blasting would be best. All you have to do is sweep up the paint chips. It looks expensive to start with, but when you look at all the associated costs for chemical stripping, it is cost effective. Safe too.

JDToumanian

I strip CARC all the time with Kleen Strip brand stripper from Home Depot. It works very quickly and peels it off in one nice layer like cellophane.

I would think abrasive blasting would leave a textured matte finish on the stainless steel that would make it VERY labor intensive to polish... though maybe soda or dry ice media would be okay.

Jon

NEIOWA

M1075 said:
Those are sweet tanks. Here is one I saw on a M813. A bit overloaded when full. :)
Yes very nice tanks and a good supply available. 2500gal is heck of a load to slap on any 5t. Certainly over GVWR.

red devils dude

JDToumanian said:
I strip CARC all the time with Kleen Strip brand stripper from Home Depot. It works very quickly and peels it off in one nice layer like cellophane.

I would think abrasive blasting would leave a textured matte finish on the stainless steel that would make it VERY labor intensive to polish... though maybe soda or dry ice media would be okay.

Jon
thats my thought all the abrasive blasting I do leaves a nice "rough" finish for the paint to stick.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
This does not really sound like a project for a rookie "volunteer" to do. Lots of nasty chemicals, or hazards with blasting it which can be dangerous if care is not taken. It might end up costing your department if something happens. Sounds like there would be alot of work to do after the stripping is done anyways.

NEIOWA

Blasting is hardly in the brain surgury relm. May try the Kleen Strip mentioned, if it's sold at Home Depot it has to be pretty benign stuff.

JDToumanian
How long does the Kleen Strip take to work? Your paint is not particularily think/multi coats. Single application of stripper work thru to metal? Have you done any large areas? You have a photo of the can? Klenn Strip has a bunch of products.

JDToumanian

Klean Strip stripper is a thick gel-like liquid that is brushed on. The can claims it will remove multiple layers of paint at once but my experience is that it removes one layer at a time... this is convenient, as it can be used to uncover stencils and other markings. I learned my deuce's entire history this way. It takes about 10 minutes to blister up each layer, then I use a putty knife to slough it off, and apply more to get the next layer off.

B.T.W. - I wouldn't call it benign... it's definitely one of the nastiest chemicals I've ever used, right up there with fuming sulphuric acid. If even the tiniest speck of this stripper gets on your skin, you will be running for the sink!!!

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't want to blast if you want a polished finish. Anyone with 2 minutes of instruction can do chemical stripping; just need to do a good clean up and wear safety equipt. :wink:

NEIOWA

JDToumanian said:
Klean Strip stripper is a thick gel-like liquid that is brushed on. The can claims it will remove multiple layers of paint at once but my experience is that it removes one layer at a time... this is convenient, as it can be used to uncover stencils and other markings. I learned my deuce's entire history this way. It takes about 10 minutes to blister up each layer, then I use a putty knife to slough it off, and apply more to get the next layer off.

B.T.W. - I wouldn't call it benign... it's definitely one of the nastiest chemicals I've ever used, right up there with fuming sulphuric acid. If even the tiniest speck of this stripper gets on your skin, you will be running for the sink!!!

Regards,
Jon
Picked up a can of this KS. It does work on CARC. Going to be a long project though. Our CARC is in very good condition. Not getting much blistering but after 15min scrapes off fairly well with a putty knife. Looks like the problem is going to be the grey primer. Does not want to scrape/peel off. Spotting scrapes to nice pretty shiny SS but is in streaks and patches. Have to try some more experiments. Luckily have a young "man" that owes the community 250hr. Will keep him productively busy for some time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks