• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Paint Question, ok Questions!!

tklm539

Well, I have read all the posts about paint in the restoration section and now I am really confused.

Here is what I have been doing. I was planning on painting with Aerove Semi Gloss OD (Vietnam stuff) I have been wire wheeling and bloc sanding all the surfaces and going to bare metal where there is rust. Any place that has been taken to bare metal has been hit with black Rustolium Primer. I was planning on doing the whole truck this way and painting when the weather gets better.

As I read all the posts, I am concerned with the Aerove paint fading. I noticed that some members were using Sherman Williams Industrial, my question is does anyone know if they could mix to match the Aerove OD Semi color?

Also, am I going about the sanding in the right way? (not looking for a perfect off frame restoration)

Finally, would I be better off to hit the whole truck with red oxide prior to final painting or is the rustolium good enough?

Thanks for any help

Tom

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painting MVs is alot like painting a house, give it a good scraping, clean er up and spray or brush away. It will look 100% military.

pa.rich

If its flat you will not notice all the uneveness . If its glossy it will take more prep work.Sounds like you are doing a great job prepping it. Hope to see some pictures soon.My truck has 6 coats of paint on it, and its going to take alot of work to do.Sorry I dont have much experience with the Aervoe paint. but if it did fade it would still look army drab.

acetomatoco

Remember that if the paint is all one color it won't look authentic as a user...even out of the factory there were variances from different suppliers...some bolts shiny, some not, some cushions different color canvas etc...do the job like a 18 year old grunt with a hangover and it will be just right... ACE (make sure you have overspray on your stencils and so forth..)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider the xm757 as a test for the Aervoe 997B (24084), Vietnam era Semi Gloss O.D.
I love the color, it matches old paint almost perfectly and has a hard finish. It also looks different when the light changes, from more green to more black (the steering gear below the lights in the image is also painted with the same color).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks