• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v fuel pump

hot rod deuce

Alright the day has come. During my cummins swap i decided it would be cheaper and better in the long run to just give in and convert her to 12 volt. All seams fairly simple until i thought of the fuel pump. The plan is to take out the stock one and put a plate over the hole. then draw of the bottom or add a pick up tube to keep the crap out. But i want a fuel pump that my lift pump can draw through should i lose power. I have a few in mind but if anyone knows what the "big boys" do when they convert them any input would be very apreciated.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know how often this is considered, but when you cut the voltage in half the current will double and the wire size should be increased accordingly. I would say that a 24 volt system is an improvement over a 12 volt one. Not many 6 volt systems around any more.

hot rod deuce

Yes, i agree that 24 is better and the amps will double(i plan on relays for the big items and the little stuff should be fine). But when im 2000 miles from home and the starter or alternator go bad any truck shop will have a 12 volt unit and lots of truck shops are open 24 hours or at least till midnight. or what if a head light dies? i can get a 12 volt unit at NAPA or carquest tail lights? Not to mention adding a radio and the shuch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks