• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

axle gearing

Nathanater

Does anyone know of a different top loader that fits the 5 ton axle but with better highway gears? Also, I'm looking to drop as much weight as possible but still be able to haul plenty of weight... Fuel econ is my main reason and I figure if I need to move something heavy I can put it in low gear.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 5t axle was a civi axle, there was about 10 or 12 ratios that could be had, everything from 10 something down to a low 5 something, I posted the ratios a while back, (can't find it), about the only place you will find this other geraing is in a OLD big truck junk yard.

Nathanater

I was thinking I'd have to check out a junk yard or two. Might have to see about a complete rear end swap... But that'd be a last resort! Also, how compatible are semi tires?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I looked for my ratio post, could not find it and search, any search is not my best friend, so as a last ditch efford to find the ratios, I checked my notes, yep they were there, so hear they are, also as a side note, a power divider OR a interaxle differential could be had for number 2 axle, Bobber builders take note, a 2 speed rear axle (vacuum or air operated) could be had for 2 axle trucks.

Ratios that could be had for double reduction, top loader Rockwell axles,
4.92, 5.21, 5.45, 5.78, 5.81, 6.44, 6.80, 7.54, 8.30, 8.31, 9.20, 9.26, 10.26

6.44 --- used in most 5ts
10.26 -- used in the Honest John mobile launcher

These axles were in everyday heavy medium to heavy trucks use for years before the modern trans and axles showed up, (crane carriers, logging trucks, qurry trucks, heavy haul, heavy line haul, ect., ect., ect., ect

The sad thing about all this neet stuff is that about the ONLY place you find any is in a OLD big truck junk yard.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks