• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35- acceptable to leave cargo rack wood unfinished/stained

Monster Man

when I repaint my deuce 24087 semi gloss olive, is it considered OK to leave the wood stained, or do I have to paint it? Looking for a failry correct early Vietnam period paintjob. I've seen Other vehicles with unpainted wood, but never an M35. When first delivered, my deuce was semi gloss olive, but were they delivered with the slats painted? Any photos to help me out?

MVtrucker

I've never seen unpainted or stained ones on original trucks and I've looked at hundreds of them. It's not good to expose unsealed wood to the elements, fresh water rots wood.

Monster Man

MVtrucker said:
I've never seen unpainted or stained ones on original trucks and I've looked at hundreds of them. It's not good to expose unsealed wood to the elements, fresh water rots wood.
cool, thanks. I think I will stain them even if it wasn't original issue, I think it would look pretty cool. Easier to paint, but I'll go a little extra and stain and seal them
and that's a pretty slick truck DD!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint will probably hold up better in the sun. Check your stain and sealer for outdoor use, or test a small piece.
Nice truck! Keep the exhaust stack covered when not in use. A 2-liter soda bottle or small coffee can will save your pipes from rust. :)

mtnrebel

thanks yall, for the comps!!!!! oh, by the way, that carport back off to the left, is where i park the beast, so she dont get wet or cold!!!!!!!!!!!

Monster Man

Keep the exhaust stack covered when not in use. A 2-liter soda bottle or small coffee can will save your pipes from rust. :lol: , I mean, it looked like I drove it through the Bayou

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've got this place down here called Flannigans. It's an Irish ber & grill and they have these way cool kelly green cups that fit perfectly over the exhaust. No worries if I forget it, just blows it off in the yard. Wife did metion something about somebody using our yard as a Flannigans dump.

Cheek

[color=blue> ]
<FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff> I rebuilt the sides of my bed with Yella Wood and I think it looks pretty good[/color]

[color=#0000ff>without]

<FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>is holding up quiet nicely. I haven't rebuilt the seats yet but probably will in[/color]

[color=#0000ff>a]<FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>wanted to[/color]

[color=#0000ff>be]

<FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff> Later :)[/color]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks