• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

add a 2nd alternator and battery

Knottofs

Hay, anybody ever add a 2nd alternator and battery in the back? I want to toss in a small 4000lb utility winch in the bed, so I can get a hand lifting things into the back?
Thanks, Nate

acetomatoco

How would you drive the second alternator in the back? Belts from the Driveshaft? Or did you mean a third battery as your truck already has two if it is stock....? For occasional use, you can just tap off one of the stock batteries for 12V to run a little winch... ACE

Knottofs

Ya, after I sent the post, I realized I didn’t elaborate the subject. I was thinking of adding 12-volt alternator under the hood, and putting a battery box in the bed.

Thanks, Nate

area52

I think someone on here has done the second alternator route, someone from Florida if memory serves. Just fab up some mounts and add a pulley onto one of the other existing pulleys.