• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Memorial Day Parade

Armada

Anyone driving their MV in a Memorial Day parade next weekend?
Our local parade makes 2 stops to honor vets. One stop when it crosses over the river, flowers are released in the river and a gun salute in rememberance of Navy vets, and the second stop is at the cemetery and another gun salute and a flyover with F16's out of Selfridge. This year there will also be a chinook and blackhawk flyover.
I've got 4 vehicles I'm putting in it. Don, want to bring your trucks?? The more the merrier! Now that you have that fancy towbar you can tow the cucv over behind your duece!

tklm539

I am running in Hague NY. Towns 200th aniversary. This is the 5th year they are doing the parade. They are looking to add more MV this year or in years to come.

Tom

ida34

I am driving in my local parade. Last year I was the only MV and they had me lead the vehicles. This year I am going to have a little league baseball team and my daughters softball team. I am rushing to get the ring mount installed.

cbvet

In our little town, we start out at the county courthouse, then march & drive 1 mile to a cemetery.
We'll carry the "Military Moms" in our 2 Deuces. A WWII command car will carry our older VFW Commanders. Will also have a WWII weapons carrier.
Members of our VFW Ladies Auxiliary lead off with a large banner reading " Stand up for the Flag, that stands for freedom ".

67Beast

I've been running in the local parade here for several years now. We leave from the county court house and make a 2 mile march up through town to the cemetery to the Veretans memorial for a service. I've been using the M715 as the lead vehicle behind the color gaurd in which we drop the troop seets down and ride any of the older vets who can no longer make the march. And then follow up with my father driving the deuce and any overflow vets.

Attachments

Towerguy1

I will be in the Bangor, Maine parade with my deuce. I will also be carrying vets in the troop seats. Any other Mainers want to participate?

Jetnoise400

Our club was invited to participate in a parade and I thought I'd just hop in my M151 and join in. Until I discovered that I had lost a front wheel cyl. Oh well... just order the parts and drive the M1009. Whoops. The oil pan seal gave up on the CUCV. aua So no parades for me. I'll spend Memorial day on my back resealing my oil pan, and then doing the brakes on the 151 if I have some extra time. D'OH!

You guys have fun!

BEASTMASTER

myself and my bud do the middleboro,ma parade the past few years,then the 4th ,then veterans day ,people love the trucks and we have a good time. :driver:

ironhorsethegeneral

We will be in a parade in Blairsville, GA with a group of WWII vets called The Round Table Group. This will be our 4th year. Then with the Georgia State Defense Force we will be at the Military Cemetery in Marietta, GA on duty for their Special Services.

BillIdaho

It is a little different in Caldwell Idaho. There is a rather large cemetary in the valley. The owners of the cemetary have, for the last 4 years or so, put together a Memorial Day service that includes bagpipes, guest local state dignitary speakers, a military fly-over, and our MV club. Last year we had about 8 vehicles show up for the day. There are hundreds of people come to the cemetary to pay their respects for their loved ones.
The biggest reason I enjoy this hobby is to be able to see the eyes of a WW2 vet as he sits in a jeep, as he did 60 some odd years ago!
My son just got out a the Navy as a SERE instructor. He trained a bunch of SPEC-OP guys. A few years ago, he managed to show up from San Diego during the Memorial Day weekend. He helped me drive all my rigs to the cemetary, and later that day, we all attended the service (he had his new wife and my even newer grand-daughter!). He and I are members of another website that caters to primarily current active duty, combat, and to some extent, spec-ops. While we were at the service, there was a group of VFW members, mostly in their 70's, that were the color guard. Out of the blue, my son asked his wife to snap a photo, grabs me and says " let's get a picture". He walks me in the middle of the VFW guys, who where all sitting in the shade, and politely asks them if they would all mind being on a website dedicated to them. (Some of them probably didn't even know what a website was!) Keep in mind that I had no heads-up as to what was taking place. they all agreed and with my son and I standing in the middle of about 20 or 30 70 year old vets, my daughter-in-law takes a rather good picture. I thought that was it.
A few days later, on the other website, there is that picture with the caption "Real Heros". It brought, and still brings, a tear to my eyes. The stories, the history, the horrors, the sights, the friends long gone, the laughter, and dedication of those old vets must be amazing. I was proud just to be able to stand with them, along side of my son.
Take your MV to a cemetary and just mingle.Encourage them to sit in it. Help the older ones carry flowers, just say thanks. They deserve it.

herc69

I'm not sure if there is a local parade around here, but even if not I plan on firing up the M35A2 and driving around flying the flag [thumbzup] and a POW/MIA windsock I got from Aberdeen. If I find a parade, I may 'crash' it Don't imagine they will mind :driver: All I want to do is show support for all our troops, past, present and future. The sacrifices they all made and are making are what makes this the greatest country on earth!!!

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have pre-registered the 5-ton cargo and the deuce tipper for our local parade in Florence, KY on Monday. I recruited Todd Haley to drive one, and we might be getting some real heros for passengers.

Still trying to get the Gimpy to join us with something from his fleet. C'mon Gimp!!! Any other lurkers in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky want to join us??

YankeeDuece

We just wrapped up our wingswheelsandtracks.com show in Cobleskill , NY. The Armed Forces Day Parade route was about 1 mile long and we had about 3 miles of trucks. Chronologically staged, we started with a 1913? Ford Model T ambulance and ending with a few cucv"s and a 5 ton wrecker. I the middle we had tracked Armour's, cckw"s, mules, half track, deuces and 3 guntrucks. When we get the video back will be able to get a total truck count.

Pics. to follow.

I finally got a chance to post some pictures. Some nice vehicles in the parade and the last two of my truck getting ready. It was the 2nd annual and a lot bigger than last year and it was a lot of fun since last year I was just a spectator. Of course the day I drove to where the parade was at (110 miles each way) it rained incredibly hard. Luckily I was able to figure out the windshield wipers (at least the driver side worked). I carried a roll of paper towels in the cab next to me and almost used the whole roll as a "defroster" since it was also very cold and between me and my dog breathing on the windshield I kept pretty busy wiping it down.
No one available to get a picture of my truck in the parade dagnabit.
I carried the President of the American Legion post 79 in my truck with other vets and members of the SAL's and Ladies Auxiliary. After the parade we passed out fliers to the legion location and went back and had a great hot dog/hamburger BBQ with all the trimmin's. I got to meet some members of the Tuskegee Airmen and hear some events of long ago. Really quite interesting gentlemen.

Can't wait for next year.

Attachments

On the way home I stopped at Will Wagner's place as he was not far off the freeway where I was traveling. He was kind enough to fix the other windshield wiper for me and even gave me two new wiper blades. How can ya top that for SS comraderie?! Now I have two that work great. For those that have driven a deuce in the rain, you know what fun that is. I had salmon spawning across the floor when I looked down. :shock: :lol:

Will's truck on the left and mine on the right.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics. Let me know when the riverside parade is this year. I'm sure I can make it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks