• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where do I look for the laws concerning this hobby?

M35A2usmc

Hi guys whats up, sorry for the title didn't know what else to put. Oh well maybe a mod can help but, any I was looking at my towns codes for vehicles and couldn't find anything about these types of trucks. Can anybody help or shold I just give them a call?

Thanks,
Matt

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little more detail is needed , are you concerned about your town not allowing MV's ? If it is a TOWN CODE , I think you could do a web search of your towns bylaws . Just tell them is a FARM VEHICLE , LOL

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd start with the laws of gravity.

These trucks(and parts) are heavy.

I dare you to ask your local PD if they enforce the laws of gravity!

3dAngus

Start with your neighborhood protective covenants. That could well be your biggest nightmare.
And remember, if you ask the question, you might not want to hear the answer.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hi guys whats up, sorry for the title didn't know what else to put. Oh well maybe a mod can help but, any I was looking at my towns codes for vehicles and couldn't find anything about these types of trucks. Can anybody help or shold I just give them a call?
Thanks, Matt
Wow Brother...talk about a loaded question!!:D

Laws, ordinances, covenants etc vary from state to state and community to community...and even from subdivision to subdivision. It's impossible for anyone on here to give a valid answer to your question unless they live next door to you and has researched everything that applies to your AO.:popcorn:

I'd start by determining exactly who is the local expert (officially) be it Code Enforcement or whatever name they go by in your community. That's who you will ultimately answer to and anything we say will just be pure conjecture and of absolutely no use to you when "The Man" comes around.:carnac:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd prefer email, you want some degree of "cya"-with email, you have some degree of proof.

Here's the thing-I think if you call them and ask them to email you the relevant codes, you'll never hear back from them.

You have to deal with the following municipalities:

State

County

City

And then-the neighborhood HOA. Like the above posters said, this is where you'll have the most issues.

As an experiment, I decided to attempt to research an in-town Atlanta neighborhood. I lived in Brookhaven when I was a kid and we moved to the suburbs later. I'd like to live in-town again and I love Brookhaven (very good social scene, great walkability, etc.

So first I googled "Brookhaven, Ga" and their website was the first hit. Went to the site and looked for their city code. Found their Code of Ordinances: http://www.brookhavenga.gov/codes.html

Went and looked at Chapters 7 & 17 and found nothing about vehicles (well, chapter 17 has all sorts of regulations about speed limits, but nothing about what you're allowed to have).

So Brookhaven was a bust. I find it impossible to believe that Brookhaven, an in-town Atlanta neighborhood doesn't have some regulations regarding vehicles (let's face it-large 3 axle ones like ours). So at this point, if it were me, I'd either be emailing or visiting their city hall or I'd be engaging my attorney to find out. The last thing you want is to buy a house and find out you can't have a deuce there.

Them I went to the County's site. Brookhaven is in DeKalb County, so I checked out their site: http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/ I used their in-site google search (like what SS has) and looked for "vehicle oordinances". About halfway down I found "http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/boc/ljhonson/projects/propertymaintenanceflyer.doc". Within this, I found:

Inoperable Vehicles
No owner or occupant of any premises shall park any inoperable vehicle or permit any other person to park any inoperable vehicle on premises for more than seventy-two (72) hours, unless the inoperable vehicle is parked in an enclosed structure.

Unregistered and Unlicensed Motor Vehicles
Any vehicle that is unregistered or has an expired registration or does not have a lawful license plate or lawful temporary tag, which plate or tag is currently registered to the vehicle displayed thereon. A court summon will be issued upon the first inspection no warning notice will be given.

PARKING ON THE GRASS is prohibited.

And here's the biggie:

COMMERCIAL VEHICLES are restricted in residential zones. Business vehicles such as passenger cars, pick-ups, or ordinary passenger vans must be parked in a carport, or to the side or rear of the house. Other commercial vehicles (e.g. Semi tractors, panel vans, school buses, and cargo vans) may not be kept in a residential zone.

So, by reading this, you'd think DeKalb County would allow a deuce, right? Since you aren't using it for commerce, it isn't commercial. But they didn't think so. They engaged SS member in a ridiculous ride through the court system: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?39460-DeKalb-County-vs-Ryan-Gill-VICTORY!

Although the law is seemingly clear, you'll be having an unpleasant day when some code officer decides your deuce is commercial, regardless of it's usage. You'll be on the hook to hire an attorney and miss who knows how much work to prove that the law says what you want it to (or you think it) say.

And that's to say nothing of the town or neighborhood HOA of where you end up. Since I don't have a particular neighborhood in mind, I couldn't really find one to see if they had a website with rules.

In short, I don't think there's a good way to find out if a particular area is "MV friendly". But you'd better do a good job and if it were me, I'd have my attorney doing it.

quickfarms

Start by reading all the documents listed in the title insurance policy you bought when you purchased the property. Pay special attention to any covenants, conditions and restrictions CC and R's if they exist.

Next step go online to your governing agencies website, the entity you get your building permits from, and look up the zoning ordinances.

If you talk to the city refer to the vehicles as either historic or recreational vehicles .

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sticking point is going to be any vehicle with more than two axles or above a certain weight is going to be considered a commercial vehicle whether it is used for commerce or not. The exceptions are RVs. Those they will limit above a certain size.

Each code section will have a glossary of terms. Please note the terms may have different meanings in different code sections. You can search your codes for recreational vehicle and commercial vehicle. All the restrictions will involve those terms.

Depending on where you are, the code enforcement people may only react to complaints. If you get along with your neighbors, you are ok. On the other hand, you can find out which code you are violating by parking your vehicle on your property. If you are in violation the letter will state which code.

Good luck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well the good thing is it is a very small town everybody knows everybody so it should be easier hopefully and thanks a lot.:driver:
Small town politics can get just as nasty as big town politics. All it takes is one sorehead to screw the pooch and land you in court defending yourself and your toys. You are doing the right thing by researching first and avoiding conflict later.
I live out in the boondocks for various reasons: Low tolorance for stupidity, I don't play well with others, I have a lot of yard art, the Boss Lady has a lot of critters, and I like to pee off the porch.

M35A2usmc

Small town politics can get just as nasty as big town politics. All it takes is one sorehead to screw the pooch and land you in court defending yourself and your toys. You are doing the right thing by researching first and avoiding conflict later.
I live out in the boondocks for various reasons: Low tolorance for stupidity, I don't play well with others, I have a lot of yard art, the Boss Lady has a lot of critters, and I like to pee off the porch.
Haha I wish I lived in my old house 11 acres private property. I it was nice, but taxes were insane for my parents. Hopefully when my dad retires in 8 years will be moving to Ga.

Sorry couldn't find some said something about parking. I would be parking it in back of my garage or next to it in the woods. with a couple of tarps.

iatractor

Remember one thing, just because it is legal when you bought it and parked it at home, it can change when you have some knot heads that will find a way to make rules specifically to prohibit you from having it at home. Small towns are notorious for making various rules to specifically exclude or ensnare someone that isn't in good graces with someone else. My small town has all sorts of ordinances written specifically to keep one person from doing this or that. Religiously enforced on that person, but when someone else does the same thing but is in favor with a city/village official, it slides by. I've already had a citizen complain about my "vehicle of war and oppression" driving on city streets because it might offend someone that had a negative experience with our military. Most think its neat but the libitards are all bent out of shape over it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks