• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some quick questions on wvo

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was Talking with the manager of a local Bob Evans today. We got on the topic of wvo in a diesel. I am picking up 50 gal of wvo Mon or Tues. I am currently reading all the alternative fuels topics so I am not plum dumb on the topic. While I am catching up, I saw in an old thread that Bjorn used filtered not washed wvo. Do you advise against this now that you wash yours? I have come across a supply way before I collected the bio-D kit to wash with. I don't want to put off my supplier. Also, I only have some 55gal plastic jugs with home heating oil residue in them. This shouldn't cause problems with the wvo should it? I will be back with more educated questions soon.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
....... I saw in an old thread that Bjorn used filtered not washed wvo. Do you advise against this now that you wash yours? ...... .
I only "washed" one batch for experimental purposes and it was biodiesel, not WVO.
The Waste Veggie Oil oil can be used straight after filtering, mixed with diesel in the summer time up to 20 or more %. In a dual tank system, 80 or more % has not a been a problem for me.

If you process the WVO into biodiesel, some recommend washing it to get rid of the residual methanol and traces of lye. I haven't. In the book "From the fryer to the fuel tank", Joshua Tickell feels that it's an unnecessary procedure. The methanol actually helps take care of any water in the fuel and also adds BTUs.

gimpyrobb

RE: Re: Some quick questions on wvo

I realized that you were not washing after page 6 of an old thread, sorry. It seems to me that you go by visuals to decide what goes in your tank. I will have to find some clear jugs like what you use as my 55gal. jugs are dark blue and hard to even tell how full they are, let alone whats lighter and whats darker if I try to make bioD.

superburban

Gimpy,
Are you planning on running the vegetable oil straight or are you going to make biodiesel? The answere to this question would effect the answer to your question.

I use both SVO and biodiesel. I dont wash the SVO at all. I heat it up to 140 degrees F and circulate it with a clear water pump, from the bottom of the drum (has the most water content) to the top of the drum with a fan blowing down into it. I do this for about 3 hours (depending on how wet the oil is). I test for water by puting a sample of about 1 cup of oil into a HOT wok. If I see any bubbles at all, I circulate for longer. Once the oil is dry, I either send it to my biodiesel processor, or the other way to be filtered for use as SVO. I use denim from the thrift store to make my own filter bags to remove all of the big junk, then I have a spin-on 10-micron filter on the pump that "polishes the SVO as it goes into my heated tank.
If I make it into biodiesel, I wash wash wash it when I am done. The methanol may help to take care of water, but there are many components in the fuel system that are not compatable with it. (I am talking about hard parts, not the usual rubber fuel line problems!)

I vote for wash all of your bio, but just filter and dry your SVO.

gimpyrobb

I don't know yet. Leaning towards just filtering and dumping in. If I find a bioD setup around here cheap, I'll go that way. Got anymore info on "many components in the fuel system that are not compatable with it. (I am talking about hard parts, not the usual rubber fuel line problems!)"

superburban

Yeah, gimpy,
The hard parts that I was refering to are cast parts in the injector pumps and injectors. Methanol can cause corrosion, and therefor premature wear. Washing is easy. I figure that it is cheap insurance that my bio is up to snuff.
Some dont wash thier bio, though, with no ill effects. It all depends on your tolerance of risk. If you can live with a higher level of risk, then there is no need to wash.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Straight VO is acid and can also cause corrosion. Unwashed bio is caustic, while washed bio is neutral like diesel.
Haven't checked the Ph of the mix I have been using. :oops:

Interestingly the fluid specified for the alcohol evaporator is 100% methanol. That system consists of copper, brass, steel, rubber and plastic parts.

CGarbee

Gimpy, my biodiesel processor is an "appleseed" type (just do a google on it or I can send you some links when I get home...). Built around a used 80 gallon electric hot water heater from the habitat for humanity thrift store in town ($20), a pump from Northern (about $40), and a bunch of fittings and tube (another forty or so... ). Nice setup that will run bassically unatended while I do other things in the shop, vented to the outside so I don't have to worry too much about fumes...

Got a wash tank made from a reworked fifty-five gallon drum right next to the processor.... I wash my fuel...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CGarbee said:
Gimpy, my biodiesel processor is an "appleseed" type (just do a google on it or I can send you some links when I get home...). Built around a used 80 gallon electric hot water heater from the habitat for humanity thrift store in town ($20), a pump from Northern (about $40), and a bunch of fittings and tube (another forty or so... ). Nice setup that will run bassically unatended while I do other things in the shop, vented to the outside so I don't have to worry too much about fumes...

Got a wash tank made from a reworked fifty-five gallon drum right next to the processor.... I wash my fuel...
Hey Cabell, you haven't told us much about this project, are you up and running now or is it experimental?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks