• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need to borrow a dolly.

jwaller

I purchased a M270 From GL last week and I need a dolly so I can go pick it up with me deuce. yes I do have an M818 but it is way too slow to drive the 850 miles to pick it up and it terrible on fuel. So please if anybody has one I can borrow in the SE area I would be eternally greatful.

jwaller

yes I did. it's 12T lowboy of sorts. looks pretty good all tires hold air and may or may not have ramps. it's exactly what I was looking for to haul a few cars and my deuce on short trips.

I'd like to have a dolly so I could tow the thing on longer trips with the deuce. there is a big differance between 50 and 60mph. but until I find one for myself I need to borrow one to get this thing home first.

M1075

Have you looked into bigger tires for the M818? You could pick up road speed pretty easily with a tire swap (60-70 is attainable, if desired).

jwaller

Re: RE: need to borrow a dolly.

citizensoldier said:
There was a place in Georgia that had about 10 dollys for sale. He wanted $1200 a piece for them though! I can find the info if you want to contact him..
yes that would be great. sounds bit high but if they are in good shape then maybe it's worth it

jwaller

Re: RE: need to borrow a dolly.

M1075 said:
Have you looked into bigger tires for the M818? You could pick up road speed pretty easily with a tire swap (60-70 is attainable, if desired).
I have and it's a wonderful option bc the 818 has 11 new 11x20's that would be great spares for the deuce. it will be impossible to spend anything on the 5t right now bc the wife wants me to sell it very badly bc of the upcoming kid.

thats another reason I'm kinda looking for the dolly bc I have a bad feeling the 818 wont be with me much longer. :(

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
So you got my trailer you dirty rat!!!!!! :lol:
Just kidding, I was drooling over it myself.
We had them when I was here at Fort Benning many years ago.
We called them "Air Force Traiers" and pulled them behind our 5 ton tractors. We could haul two 4000 lb. rough terrain forklifts on them.
They did not have ramps with them. We had to back them up to a dock.
The deck is low enough to build some ramps easily.
The ones we had were not straight air brakes. They had an air actuated master cylinder and hydrolic brakes.

Alphadeltaromeo used a dolly to pick up his van trailer from Hotlanta a few weeks ago...PM him and see where he got it. He is in Carrolton, Ga., which would be on your way to Fort Puke errrrr Polk.

jwaller

wreckerman893 said:
So you got my trailer you dirty rat!!!!!! :lol:
Just kidding, I was drooling over it myself.
We had them when I was here at Fort Benning many years ago.
We called them "Air Force Traiers" and pulled them behind our 5 ton tractors. We could haul two 4000 lb. rough terrain forklifts on them.
They did not have ramps with them. We had to back them up to a dock.
The deck is low enough to build some ramps easily.
The ones we had were not straight air brakes. They had an air actuated master cylinder and hydrolic brakes.

Alphadeltaromeo used a dolly to pick up his van trailer from Hotlanta a few weeks ago...PM him and see where he got it. He is in Carrolton, Ga., which would be on your way to Fort Puke errrrr Polk.

ya that was me. I really really wanted this thing. I have the 5T to pull it as well. sorry if I out bid you. it says it is air over hydro system.

if you dont mind I'll be buggin you about these things. until I get it figured out.

I'll send a pm to ADR to see what he says.

M1075

I think the deck is a full 4 feet high, but it looks like there are some channels on the rear for ramps to set into. Sounds like you are going to have a fun road trip.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Here is another idea since you are near Fort Jackson.
Call Jackson Transportaion and get the number for Fort Polk Transportaion.
Call them and see if there is a big rig delivering something out there.
They usually have the company name and a POC for inbound freight.
If the driver needs a back haul coming back this way you might get a good price that would be close to what it would take to go out and get it with a dolly.
I spent several weeks out there and saw lots of big rigs coming and going.
Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Too bad we did not know about this at Aberdeen someone could have hauled my dolly down there for you. I am going to be using the M 52 to pull the M 127 so the dolly is going to be empty.

jwaller

Ferroequinologist said:
:drool: :cry: Me want one...
there is another one on GL right now.

I did call SECO today and they want 1700 for an unrested dolly with no tires.

If I would have known I was going to buy this thing I would have put the word out sooner. oh well. thanks for all your help.

I think I have a line on one I might be able to borrow. hope it works out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I did call SECO today and they want 1700 for an unrested dolly with no tires.
Those guys are smoking some serious crack

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks