• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lighting Alternatives/ Show us your headlights

PETE BALLARD

I have been looking around to see if anyone has ventured into alternative lighting? LED. HID or?? If so can we post some pictures of your project here. I am considering the HID system for my M1028. Bi-xenon projection type. So far I think l like the LED's but they are out there price wise. Your thoughts??

Thanks in advance - Pete

forest522

I should have gotten stock in LMC...great headlights. Replacing the original wiring harness with the heavy duty version is really a good idea.

DSCF1744.jpg

Aiming wasn't too bad. The replacement screw things from a local parts store were junk...ended up using the originals after some thorough cleaning. Come to think of it, I reused most every nut and bolt if I could manage to clean them up.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have gotten stock in LMC...great headlights. Replacing the original wiring harness with the heavy duty version is really a good idea.

View attachment 465735

Aiming wasn't too bad. The replacement screw things from a local parts store were junk...ended up using the originals after some thorough cleaning. Come to think of it, I reused most every nut and bolt if I could manage to clean them up.

I have LEDs in my M35A2 and I can tell you they are worth every penny. They are much brighter and draw much less power from the alternator and give it a modern/scary look at night. Plus for an old truck, it really adds a lot of safety traveling at night.

Al Harvey

We were switching many of MRAPs overseas to the LED lights and I they gave more and wider range of light near the truck but didn't have near the distance light of the original seal beamed.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the LED's in my M35A3 , and they work great , as the old trucks need all the lighting help you can get . Plus the benefit of less light load on your light switch .

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well for the CUCV maybe not, but for the Deuce, $250 for a pair of lights that will last you the rest of your life, increase the value of the vehicle, provide extra light, and increase saftey and visibility? It's worth the investment.

Gunzy

I would like to convert all the lights on my 5 ton to LED. I can find all the part #s on the Truk Lite web site but no prices. I think I'll try to contact them directly to find out if they will sell them publicly or are only wholesale. I guess I could take the part #s to O'Reilly and see if they can order them. Any one know of a go supplier?

PETE BALLARD

I would like to convert all the lights on my 5 ton to LED. I can find all the part #s on the Truk Lite web site but no prices. I think I'll try to contact them directly to find out if they will sell them publicly or are only wholesale. I guess I could take the part #s to O'Reilly and see if they can order them. Any one know of a go supplier?
i would check _-bay first. I was looking at the LED replacement for 6054 sealed beams, I got $ 223.25 per assembly. I think that is pretty expensive.

Hadstock

The downroad 'reach' of headlamps is governed by US performance specifications (primarily FMVSS108 so in reality, the different 'advanced' light sources are designed to spread available light but are restricted in their reach by 'glare' requirements set by our government - until their regulations catch up with technological advancements, the down road reach of headlamps is pretty much the same regardless of light source. That said, the drivers eye often perceives a difference because in systems using HID, the greatly increased light availability is used more in side illumination and directly in front of the vehicle to give added 'comfort' value. This extra light near to vehicle can cause the driver to perceive he cannot see as far with HID because downroad illumination cannot exceed values set for halogen (currently) but the eye adjusts to compensate for the increase in light closer the vehicle - this is an on going battle for lighting manufacturers lobbying Washington to review their regulations to take advantage of the improving light source technologies.

In my view (for what it's worth) if you want more light for side spread and close to the vehicle (slow speed, off road driving) then HID and LED Headlamps are the way to go but if you're primarily driving highways at greater than 45mph, the HID and LED systems will not let you see any further down the road than traditional halogen sealed beams on low beam. The HID and LED systems do have the advantage that they put our a more natural 'daylight' color (appear bluish at night) which helps the driver see colors much better but again, the ability to see further down the road isn't really there.

Currently light sources can be categorized as HID giving most light, LED next, then Halogen and finally tungsten (some of the older sealed beam) but LED is expected to out perform HID in the next 5 years but bear in mind that it's the collection system (reflector + lens) that can make all the difference in how that light is put down the road.

Also, don't be tempted to use Projector lamps if you want performance as they may look cool (vehicle stylists seem to like them) but they actually collect much less light than the 7" round halogen units (when it comes to collecting light from a light source, you can't beat the "bigger is better" approach).

The big advantages of HID and LED systems is their power consumption, so if you want more light (ignoring down road reach) with less demand on the vehicle electrical system, then HID and LED have the edge (25w HID systems are roughly comparable to 55w halogen low beam light performance). There are higher output systems available but if they're marked 'off road use only' then they probably don't meet government regulations for highway use !

Just my 2 cents worth but hope it helps in making light source choices.

Last edited:

Skinny

I think dollar for dollar you can't be a really good sealed beam like a Silverstar or an H4 conversion lense with a quality bulb. I prefer the upper white color without crossing into a bluish color. Can't beat the upgrade cost wise. If you can take the plunge, HID or LED replacement lights are great but I have a hard time justifying the cost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks