• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV - Mode & CTIS

Rodney Lough Jr

Hoping someone can explain these two things for me. I understand what CTIS is, but not what each selection is specialized for. As for understanding MODE, nope, not so much (the more specific the better - please). Your wisdom will not go un-used. Thanking ya'll in advance for any knowledge shared!

I've been told that MODE, and 'perhaps' CTIS, is explained in a 'chart/sticker' attached to the backside of the sun visor of the FMTV's - of course it's not on mine.

Last edited:

DSD277

Is your CTIS ecu the same on the Brazo as the FMTV ? It would be the same system, just want to be sure your 5 buttons are labeled the same.
It is a simple system and very good. It is made by Roadmaster.
The attached page explains the different modes ( buttons)
Most are self explanatory. In standard operation, the system checks the tires ( by axle) every 15 minutes (iirc) and in "run flat", its every 15 seconds.
RF is selected by pushing the button once and any other button. It returns to stanard operation after 10 minutes.
IF all 5 buttons flash, it usually means one ore more tire has a different pressure than the rest. Select RF and it will usually correct itself.:)

Attachments

DSD277

Gee, I did "IIRC" ;)
Also, the CTIS does not hold any pressure between checks. It is at atmospheric pressure and does an axle at a time.
So if you rip a CTIS line loose, the tires won't go flat. There is a schrader valve on each tire to fill them, if need be

Rodney Lough Jr

Is your CTIS ecu the same on the Brazo as the FMTV?
Based on the diagram I would say yes it seems to be.

It would be the same system, just want to be sure your 5 buttons are labeled the same.
It is a simple system and very good. It is made by Roadmaster.
The attached page explains the different modes ( buttons)
Most are self explanatory. In standard operation, the system checks the tires ( by axle) every 15 minutes (iirc) and in "run flat", its every 15 seconds.
RF is selected by pushing the button once and any other button. It returns to stanard operation after 10 minutes.
IF all 5 buttons flash, it usually means one ore more tire has a different pressure than the rest. Select RF and it will usually correct itself.:)
Thank you so very much for this! Not sure where this info came from, but I'd bet there's a bunch more in it that might also be useful. The vehicle was purchased directly from BAE as many know is in process of shutting it all down. It's a 2012 Brazo with the Cummins 6.7L. Getting manuals has been a bit tough. I have the operations, maintenance, and parts manual; but I am unable to get the repair manuals. The guys at BAE have been great, but with so many of them now gone a LOT of knowledge has 'left the building'. It was interesting to find out that the plant in TX is located in the Brazo Valley - makes sense now why they called it like they did. Thanks Again!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are located at the Poland International Airport?

Rodney Lough Jr

Gee, I did "IIRC" ;)
Also, the CTIS does not hold any pressure between checks. It is at atmospheric pressure and does an axle at a time.
So if you rip a CTIS line loose, the tires won't go flat. There is a schrader valve on each tire to fill them, if need be
Very good to know - thank you.

Do you by chance have something similar on MODE?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope I meant Poland, it was the first Google search result.

Our rules request a state listed in your location. For a few good reasons.

Rodney Lough Jr

Nope I meant Poland, it was the first Google search result. Our rules request a state listed in your location. For a few good reasons.
That's interesting. I just tried both Yahoo & Google and Portland was the first to show up on both. I used PDX as it is a standard destination acronym for city locations. If this is too confusing I can change it on the profile, just let me know. Thanks.

Rodney Lough Jr

During normal highway driving, the transfercase divides 30% power to the front axle and 70% to the rears. When the MODE button is pushed, the transfercase divides the power 50% to the front and 50% to the back for rough terrain.
Thank you for this.

My limited understanding, due to lack of reading material at my disposal, is that each axel (depending on MODE selected) will lock i.e. no limited slip but locked. Although there doesn't seem to be any intra/cross-axel locking (i.e. front/center/rear diff lock). I'm hoping to find out which axels lock depending on what MODE is selected. Would you happen to know this information? Or have access to the appropriate reading material(s)?

DSD277

Each of the buttons is a mode. I'm surprise the operator's manual doesn't have all this.
The early FMTV manuals are available on CD. When I bought mine, they were $15 plus shipping.
I'm too sure how useful it would be to you

Doghead, PDX is Portland's Airport code.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's interesting. I just tried both Yahoo & Google and Portland was the first to show up on both. I used PDX as it is a standard destination acronym for city locations. If this is too confusing I can change it on the profile, just let me know. Thanks.
Yes please. [thumbzup]

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to close this discrepancy, I just rechecked my google results(was going to post a screen shot for you) but I realized it indeed does say Portland(not Poland).

I did not have my glasses on! rofl

Either way, our rules ask for your state(I should have never needed to wonder or ask).

DSD277

Like most AWD vehicles, the normal "hard surface" split is 30/70 front to rear, and offroad/ mode on is 50/50 for loose surfaces. You do not want it engaged on hard surfaces. You will damage parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks