• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this rack for radios?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the radio cables hanging all over the place, its a dead giveaway. Not sure what radio set was in there, but it was a larger set. I'd reckon the VRC-12 series of radios was in that mess, though, I can see the MX-7777 surge supressor to the left of the rack on the deck.

Don't toss it - there are guys who are MV users and ham radio operators who wouldn't mind having that!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent the link to Steve Haney. He usually knows what these odd things are for. The far end, I'd guess a grc106 migth fit there, except the vary computer-ish looking holes on the far side plate indicate that something else for sure was the inhabitant..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Is this rack for radios?

ONTOS66 said:
What sort of vehicle is it in? That can be one clue. Also, any data plates of any sort? I don't think it is the VRC-12 family. Could be something older, but need more "clues" to figure it out. Probably a "multi-band" radio (combination of radio sets) system. Here is an example of a similar type of rack. http://www.columbiaelectronics.com/multi_band_radio_sets.htm
Yes! Thats a GRC-206 multi-band radio setup there that you linked to. I have about half the components for that set, including the RT-524, both control boxes (including the remote control box), the switchboard, the antenna and the rack. The hard part will be finding the RT-1444 unit and the VRC-83 radio sets (2 are required to complete the set) since each of them run $5,500 retail. The COMSEC stuff is impossible to find, but perhaps I can create a fake dummy COMSEC unit to complete the set.

Please post more pics, Bruce. Also, if you can get some of the radio cable nomenclature off the cables, that would help a lot....

ONTOS66

AHHH HA!!! Yoiks! EUREKA!!

The answer is: (according to TM 11-7440-293-14) an installation for a "Variable Format Message Entry Device, AN/GSC-21."
It also refers to TACFIRE equipment and some other manuals that I don't have. So the radios were some combination involved in Tactical Fire Control.

However, I do have this TM available in .pdf which lists the names for most of the components in your photos. PM me if you'd like a copy emailed.

It pays to be a packrat!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks