• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rim Width VS Tire Size

amanco

I need some help here. Ok, the stock M37 rim is 6.50" wide right? Two tire types I am contemplating, the Michelin XL and XML. Both the 11.00-16 XL and XZL tires say they fit on a 6.50" rim. The tread on a XL is 10.9" wide and the XZL is 11.3" wide. The XML 325/85 16 tread is 12.9" wide, only 1.6" wider than the 11.00-16 XZL but says it needs a 9" rim. What would be the problem (could it be done?) with trying to put this tire on a 6.50" rim? Does any one make custom BUD rims for the M37?

CGarbee

Michelin designed the 1100r16 XL/XZL to fit a 6.50H rim. The wider tire is not designed by them to fit a rim this narrow. I suspect that you can squeze it on although you might have to fight it (it comes down to sidewall stiffness for the most part), but if something happens, you will be in a bad place if somebody notices that the rim you mounted it upon is not withen the range secified by Michelin.

Unlike some of thier other tire offerings, I notice that the 9" width is the only one that they have certified the 325/85r16 XML on...

There are a couple of places (Stockton wheel for instance) that make wider rims for the M37. Bassically, they are all cutting out the centers from Budd rims and welding them into new wheels... Do a search over on the www.g741.org site as I know that more than one person has reported on his experience with custom wheels made from more than one manufacturer.

Personally, I like the XZL, but then, that is what I have fitted to my truck :)

yorkgulch2

I have michelin 1100r16 xls on the stock m37 and on wc62 combat rims. They go on pretty easy but a wider tire might be tough to squeeze because of the side wall stiffness.
A rim minimum width 70-75% of tire width is the most common recommendation I have seen.

amanco

Thanks all, I was able to negotiate a set of XL's so that is what I am going with. Is it recommended to get new tubes and flaps with every tire change? I know the flap can become stuck to the rim, and I do want to get the rims sand blasted. Just wondering if I could re-use the tubes or are new tubes SOP?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks