• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine Markings.....

N1265

I am thinking of lettering My M880 ( marine corps ) but the only thing I can find out is that they were lettered front and back USMC ******

does anybody know the size of the lettering and if the six digit numbers are the same as the last six of the manufactures serial number ?

any info on all markings for a marine M880 would be appreciated.....

FrankUSMC

The numbers would have nothing to do with the manufactures numbers. They are Marine numbers.
On the M880s we had, ours had the unit markings on the doors.
I might have a photo of one of the Dodges, will check tomorrow.
One of the few. Frank USMC Ret.

FrankUSMC

I will keep looking, but so far all the photos I have come across of our M880 are to far to see the markings on the doors.
I remember the marking, but I can not remember the numbers that were in it. Funny thing is the unit marking made no sence to us because the numbers had nothing to do with our sqaudron.
If you PM me your address I could draw the marking for you and you put your own number inside of it.
One of the few, Frank

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about M880 markings specifically, or if they are done the same as other vehicles, but if they are maybe this will help. It applies to vehicles from the early 80s onward in the 3-colour camo or tan schemes. This doesn't come from official sources, just notes from vehicles and photos I have seen, and from the original markings on my Marine M813.
On most Marine MV's I have seen, the bumper markings are USMC on the drivers side and the 6 number VIN on the passenger side, front and rear. The USMC and 6 digit number are also on both sides of the hood near the rear hinge line. On my truck, the door number is also on the passenger side on the front bumper, under the vehicle number, and centered on the back panel of the truck under the tailgate. This particular marking is not consistent though, I have seen several other trucks that don't have the door numbers on the front and/or back at all. The door number also seems to wander in placement, on LAVs I have seen it centered on the rear door, above it, or on the passenger side next to the door, and on some trucks it is on the tailgate or under it.

The door number (in my case M21640) was explained to me by a Motor T Marine one time, but I don't know that I correctly recall what he said. I believe he said the M was for Marine, the 2 was for 2nd MarDiv, the next numbers were battalion and regiment (1/6, which makes sense, my truck came off Camp LeJeune and all those numbers are consistent with the 2nd Marine Division stationed there) and 40 was the vehicle number somehow. If I recall this incorrectly, I would be glad to be put right. Likewise if his explanation was wrong, I would like to hear about it.
All markings are in 2" stencils with green on black, black on green and brown.
Hope some of that helps you.
Cheers,
Rory

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks