• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pros and cons of single rear axle

yeager1

I am contemplating (first I need to find a truck) the pros and cons of dropping off a rear axle on a truck setup for super singles. Here are two examples. The first truck is almost exactly what I an thinking about (probably cut 2 feet off the end), but I like alot of the secound one as well.
[color=#ffff00>[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80765&item=4533648297&rd=1][/url]

Pros of 4x- improved

1. * turning radius

* fuel mileage

* power and speed- due to less weight and resistence

* lots of room for any type of auxilery tranny

* better snow performance

* 14-20's or 16-20s are much easier to fit

* you only need to buy 4 of those expensive rims and tires
Cons of 4x-

1. * 6x6s are just cool

* weight capacity- but if payload is rated for 10,000 lbs, and each rear is rated for 14,000- does it even make a difference?

* floatation- especially when loaded
Off road performance? I think it's kind of a toss up depending on conditions

Any thoughts?

hot rod deuce

well i think you pritty well hit the nail on the head with that one buddy!!
as far as weight the 9.00's would be the weak link but you mentioned 16.00's and there good to almost 15000 each single
the cool factor of a 6x6 did me in, i mean any one has a jacked up 4x4, real men drive jacked up 6x6's

yeager1

The #3 from that site (pictured) is exactly what I'm thinking about, just throw in a dump piston. [^] Wouldn't pay $7800 for the conversion though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure about the snow performance deal. Lots of folks say you have to have chains to move around in the snow. My limited deuce snow experience has shown that a 4000# boulder in the back of a deuce gives it incredible traction in snow.

yeager1

You definately do much better with weight in the back in the snow. I was refering more to how all the big Oshkosh deicated snow trucks are always single rear axle single tires. You get much better contact preasure which helps alot on ice.

spicergear

A conversion like that is real simple too. Better off getting some Stazworks wheels or wheels like M1075's. I priced JATonka's wheels and they were...well, quite beloved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks