• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv alternator as a welder?

Alabama Mike

after having alt problems on my m1009 I have replace the alternator, everything seems to be working fine now, But I have the old Non-operational alt that came off the truck, I have read online in several places about alternators being converted to welders, I'd like to do this with the 27si that I have, does anyone have any ideas about just how its done? One page says you have to replace diodes, another says just bypass the voltage regulator, seems there is 20 different ways to do this, I'm looking for the simplest and easiest. thanks Mike

glassk

Not sure if one of the features of the 27si is it's an Isolated ground and if that would be anything that theShow:doghead: enough Folks like Doghead would know

Alabama Mike

well My question would be the alt in the article had "avalanche" diodes that would burn up at 32 volts, to save the electrical system on the car, I was wondering does the 27si have the same thing? I've read some ford and dodge alts you just bypass the voltage regulator and its a done deal.

MatthewH

I would save your money, and alternator, and just buy the welder/alternator.
I have done this, and it works, for a short time. Used a 65amp Delco 27si case, off an old dump truck, rebuilt the inside, converted using plans found online. Did it weld, yes, pretty good, lasted an entire 6010 3/32 dia rod. Then alt caught fire, shooting sparks and locked right up. Took apart, everything was burnt and melted.
But, ymmv, do as u please, just a friendly heads up

Alabama Mike

MatthewH, thanks for the reply, I have researched this and it seems every website I find has a differant way of doing it, and you are the first to say that you had problems, none of the other sites really say much after they tell you had it should be done. I have a 12hp briggs engine I wanted to try this with, I thought a portable welder would be the ticket for around the farm, but I'm also cheap the alternator/welders I've seen are 500.00 or better, I'd hate to spend that money and it not be as handy as I am imagining.

MatthewH

Had the same idea, only I mounted it on my '78 Chevy. After it failed, I kept an eye out for a real welder, ended up with a Dodge M887, with welder intact. Try Craigslist, may find a deal on a small gas welder

1StumpJumper

I chose to scour Craigslist and found a 24 volt ReadyWelder mig welder for a reasonable price. I picked up a slave cable plug and wired it up like the military versions. All in all, a pretty slick set up for about $300.

Skinny

My M1031 came stock with a welder and generator to power it :)

I don't know if I would want a welder being powered in the engine bay, seems like a complete total loss of a truck if it melts down. Would be pretty cool to convert one Alt to 24v for the truck and the other for a welder though.

OL AG '89

Or for $600.... you could have a 3 in 1 machine like this........

Fabricator 141i - Mig/Tig/Stick
Code: THA-W1003141
Price: $595.00
just need to get a medium generator to run it...

I bought one several years ago along with the plasma cutter..... I haven't looked back..... money well spent......
welder is a SWEET wire feed with capability of stick weld when needed. It comes ready to roll right out of the box....
no bigger than a suitcase, easily carried by 1 old guy, fits in back of CUCV along with plasma cutter and small compressor for cutter,
I'm outfitted just like a contact truck, minus the generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks