• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce move MD to VA - truck or tow? Help.

HeadWizard

Well, I surely wasn't expecting to get the invoice yet from GL on a recent Deuce win at Ft. Meade, MD - but there it was today! :shock: Only 8 business days for the EUC approval?

I planned on going on vacation then worrying about this Deuce sometime next month, oh well :?

The truck runs with a jump. One inner rear tire is flat, all others are OK. Air warning buzzer won't shut off and the gage won't come up. Totally forgot to check the glad hand connection to see if it was open. aua Brakes work OK, but no air assist. Not really sure I want to drive it.

It's only about 55 miles from Ft. Meade, MD to Chantilly, VA where it's going. So the question to all you experienced Deuce movers is: What are my options for moving it? Flatbed trailer, another one of you with a tow bar (and $ from me), risk the drive? Anyone got any connections with trucking companies? I talked to the site and they are not in a hurry for me to get it out of there. Within a month?

Any and all help/suggestions is appreciated. Thanks, Don

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would suggest the towbar route, get it home then get all the bugs worked out versus trying to drive it home and getting stranded then having to pay a big towbill.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ditto on the towbar...there has to be someone around there to help out.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd try to drive after checking fluids. worst case you are only going 55 miles towing can't be but a couple hundred.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can fix the air problem easily, drive it with a chase car. Make frequent stops on the way to check tires etc.
When I took delivery of my M49A2C, one of the rear tires was gashed. In desperation (had no lug nut wrench), I used a utility knife and cut the rubber off the wheel and drove it that way 350 miles to home base.

CGarbee

Worse case (ie, if you don't feel up to driving it with a chase car and none of the guys in Southern Maryland or NoVA can help you) is that I can drive up to the farm in Syria in my M35A2C for the Fourth, and we can ride over and snag your truck on July 5 or 6 (assuming that you can get on Meade one of those days...). I've got a towbar on my deuce and the usual assortment of tools needed to snag a truck off a GL lot... :)

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you need to borrow my towbar you can. I am just south of Richmond, and I think in a earlier post you mentioned you are down my way sometimes.

SierraHotel

I don’t have a tow bar, but I’ve got a Deuce to tow yours with. I’d be more than happy to help you, but think chaining it across any of the Potomac bridges would be asking for trouble (and a ticket). Let me know if I can help. Things are busy until September, but we’ll see if we can co-ordinate schedules.

HeadWizard

Thanks to all who have responded. [thumbzup] [thumbzup]

Seems that using a tow bar (borrowed from someone unless there's one for sale) makes the most sense. Chain towing around the DC Beltway will be like getting the "Go Straight to Jail" card. Driving it back with the risk of breakdown and the stupid cost of an emergency tow is not worth it. I tried to fire up the old transporter but wasn't able to move anything more than toast when I said "Beam It Up" :)

Keep the answers and offers comming!

Thanks
Don

HeadWizard

OK, need to try again.

Anyone local to DC that has a tow bar and/or a truck to tow with in the next 2 weeks? I can drive down to Richmond and borrow Builder77's (Ethan's) tow bar, but don't have a functional tow vehicle. More than willing to pay expenses.

Ft. Meade, MD to Chantilly, VA. 55 miles.

Thanks for any offers.

Don

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Don,
I've got a towbar. I live in Spotsylvania but I work in Sterling. I'll be on day shift on Sunday the 15th of July so if you want I can bring the towbar up with me and meet you in the Wegmans parking lot right off of Waxpool and 28 at about 0600.
When you are done with it let me know and I'll meet you in the same fashion to get it back. This should save you some time, sorry that my schedule does not allow me to help you go get the deuce.

Hope this helps.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can't you tow it back with the duece you used in the parade on the 4th? I am sure that the big tires might make things a bit interesting, but it is only a short trip.

HeadWizard

Thanks guys!

I have no idea on lights - first thought is "don't need no stinkin lights", second thought is "a chase vehicle very close behind". Haven't found anyone w/lights.

I'm trying to get the pinhead at GL to confirm a time. They say immediately and then won't commit. It's got to be this week or next as my son is going to Victory Junction Gang Camp the following week.

Ethan, I'm leery of towing with "Shorty" with the tall tires/gear ratio thing. It's not very fast. ALSO, I'd be working with only 2 axles worth of brake drums to stop 2 deuces.... not sure.

I'll PM you all.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a pinch, you can tee into the lights on the towing truck and run wires back and tee into the lights on the recovered truck. I have the military tow light bar but I'm quite far away. If you can source an old trailer pigtail you can accomplish the same thing. Worst case scenario you could obtain a yellow magnetic strobe and plug it into a jump pack in the towed vehicle.

mangus580

Recovry4x4 said:
In a pinch, you can tee into the lights on the towing truck and run wires back and tee into the lights on the recovered truck. I have the military tow light bar but I'm quite far away. If you can source an old trailer pigtail you can accomplish the same thing. Worst case scenario you could obtain a yellow magnetic strobe and plug it into a jump pack in the towed vehicle.
This is exactly what I did Kenny. I took a trailer pigtail (one can be had reasonably priced at FLMV) and some 'bullet nosed' connectors. Made up a long wire using the standard trailer wire, and plugged the towed vehicles tail lights into my make shift harness. Pretty simple to make (can be done at home) and only takes a minute to plug it into the lights already mounted on the truck.

motorolanut

Drive or Tow

I would pull the flat have it fixed, check your Fluids, Brakes and Drive it home....If you have a chase vehicle or another duece with the tow bar to chase in case you need it...Just remember...Thumbs Out on the Steering Wheel!!!! :)

HeadWizard

The answer is.. sort of.

Scrounger (Andrew) was gracious enough to take his 5 ton up to Ft. Meade and tow it back to his place in So. MD. Both he and I have been tied up over the last several weekends, so it's keeping his fleet company till we get time.

I still have another one in the way at the moment.

Towing was a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks