• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Evidence of FMTV Driveshaft rework by S&S

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See the "D" stamped onto the main data plate? That means that Stewart and Stevenson has performed rework to prevent the driveshaft from flying off. This was an early defect that caused the entire fleet to be limited to 30 MPH for years. All trucks should have been fixed.

Attachments

Wile E. Coyote

Hmm. I wondered why GL seems to always focus on that on the dataplate pics. Good info. Thanks. I also didn't know the fleet had been speed limited at some point.

Wile E. Coyote

Wonder why the flywheel housing was included in the upgrade? Weird. I guess the fact that there's always at least 30% transfer case output to the front axle set up more high-speed operation driveline 'fight' than they anticipated - also probably because from a design standpoint they likely figured on a higher ratio off off-road to on-road/pavement use. At a guess. Wonder how long before someone comes up with an aftermarket mod to freewheel the front axle - though with that particular model of transmission/ transfer - the ATEC/ ECU might register it as a slip condition or otherwise cause nasty things to happen with the transfer case. Guess you could try it as an experiment to see what would happen if you drove it with the front driveshaft removed...with someone else's truck :)

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
resurrecting an old thread… my VIN plate does not have the “D” stamped on it…. Is there another way to determine if the driveline upgrades were performed? (1995 A0)

coachgeo

resurrecting an old thread… my VIN plate does not have the “D” stamped on it…. Is there another way to determine if the driveline upgrades were performed? (1995 A0)
what is date of delivery? if it was delivered much further out from 95 manufacture ..... then my understanding is the upgrade was automatic. Example my 1994 build has a 1997 Delivery. No D ("D"epot) mark... Same as all the newer trucks that left the plant in 97.... Seally plant was closed for numerous years with some extra trucks there behind a fence not purchased by govt. It re-opened with new truck order. They upgraded the ones in the lot it appears as they started building the new ones to full fill the order . Point being if it left Seally like mine in 97 or later then it would have left there upgraded thus no need to be sent to a "D"epot for swap.

If I recall the old info right.... if you have a 4" diameter drive shaft.... that means your upgraded. previous was smaller.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks